Five killed as Ukrainian forces launch 'anti-terror' operation

Explore Business Standard
Associate Sponsors
Co-sponsor

At least five pro-Russian protestors were killed Thursday afternoon during an "anti-terror" operation in Ukraine's eastern city of Slavyansk, the country's interior ministry said.
During "counter-terror" actions at three checkpoints set up by a pro-Russia militia outside the city, five protestors were killed, Xinhua reported citing the ministry's press service.
One Ukrainian officer was also injured, it said.
On Wednesday, Ukraine resumed its "anti-terror" operation in eastern regions after pro-Russian activists allegedly kidnapped and tortured several journalists and murdered a pro-government politician.
Ukraine suspended its "counter-terror" measures last week following an agreement with Russia, the US and the European Union in Geneva.
First Published: Apr 24 2014 | 5:48 PM IST