Associate Sponsors

Co-sponsor

Federer has knee surgery, will miss French Open

Image
AFP Paris
Last Updated : Feb 20 2020 | 5:30 PM IST

Roger Federer has undergone surgery to resolve a longstanding knee problem and said Thursday he would be out of action until after the French Open.

The 20-times grand slam winner revealed on his Facebook account that he underwent surgery in Switzerland on Wednesday and would miss a string of tournaments including the May 24-June 7 French Open.

"As a result, I will miss Dubai, India Wells, Bogota, Miami and the French Open," he said.

The 38-year-old explained that he had intended to avoid surgery if possible but the knee problem refused to go away.

"My right knee has been bothering me for a little while," said the world number three who reached the Roland Garros semi-finals last year.

"I hoped it would go away, but after an examination and discussion with my team, I decided to have arthroscopic surgery in Switzerland yesterday."

Disclaimer: No Business Standard Journalist was involved in creation of this content

More From This Section

First Published: Feb 20 2020 | 5:30 PM IST

Next Story