Explore Business Standard
Associate Sponsors
Co-sponsor
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Friday carried out searches at the Government Medical College in the Anantnag district of Jammu and Kashmir in connection with the "white collar" terror module busted in November last year. Officials said a team of NIA sleuths arrived at the GMC Anantnag and carried out searches. They said the searches were in connection with the recovery of a rifle from the locker of a doctor in November last year. Dr Adeel Ahmad Rather was among the nine persons arrested as part of the terror module investigation that led to the recovery of massive quantities of explosives from Faridabad in the National Capital Region (NCR). Meanwhile, search operations by security forces were going on in the Koil Karewa area of the Pulwama district, the officials said. They said the search operation was launched following an intelligence input about the presence of terrorists in the area. No arrests or recoveries have been made so far, the officials added.
An explosion at a Tennessee military munitions plant Friday left 19 people missing and feared dead, authorities said. Humphreys Count Sheriff Chris Davis said it was one of the most devastating scenes he's ever seen. He did not specify how many people were killed but referred to the 19 missing as souls and said officials were still speaking to family. The blast, which people reported hearing and feeling miles away, occurred at Accurate Energetic Systems in rural Tennessee. The company's website says it makes and tests explosives at an eight-building facility that sprawls across wooded hills in the Bucksnort area, about 97 km southwest of Nashville. The cause of the explosion, which Davis called devastating," was not immediately known, and the investigation could take days, the sheriff said. Aerial footage of the aftermath by WTVF-TV showed the explosion had apparently obliterated one of the facility's hilltop buildings, leaving only smoldering wreckage and the burnt-out shells of .
A cache of explosives buried in a jungle was recovered in Assam's Sonitpur district on Saturday, even as security was tightened across the state for 76th Republic Day celebrations, police said. The explosives, including 36 grenades and three detonators, were found wrapped in a polythene bag during a search operation, they said. On 25/1/2025, based on a reliable information regarding the secret storage of illegal arms and ammunitions buried underground in the jungle area near Khwbra village, Batashipur under Dhekiajuli Police Station, a search operation was conducted, the Sonitpur Police said in a post on X. One of the grenades had damaged pin/lever. So it has been kept in a secured area under guard, it police said, adding, the bomb disposal squad of the army is being contacted to dispose the explosives. Meanwhile, security arrangements have been heightened throughout Assam to ensure peaceful and smooth Republic Day celebrations, police said. Regular search of vehicles and patrolli
A London-bound Air India flight received a bomb threat here on Tuesday but no explosives were found, an official said. A man suspected of making the threatening call has been apprehended by authorities, a Cochin International Airport spokesperson said . Security personnel conducted extensive checks on the aircraft and found no danger, allowing the flight to proceed as planned, he said in a statement here. According to him, a bomb threat call was received by the Air India call center in Mumbai early on Tuesday for flight AI 149, scheduled to fly from Cochin to London Gatwick. The alert was promptly communicated to Air India here and the Cochin International Airport Limited (CIAL) at 01:22 hours. Following established protocols, a Bomb Threat Assessment Committee (BTAC) was immediately convened at CIAL. The threat was assessed and declared specific. Following this, thorough security checks were conducted by the Airport Security Group (ASG-CISF), airline security personnel, and inl
The death toll in the blast at an explosives factory in Maharashtra's Nagpur district has gone up to nine with the last surviving person succumbing to his injuries, officials said on Sunday. Pramod Chavare died of his burn injuries at a private medical facility here on Saturday night, Dande Hospital's director Dr Pinak Dande told PTI. The blast took place at around 1 pm on Thursday at the Chamundi Explosives Pvt Ltd in Dhamna village under Hingna police station limits, around 25 km from the city. Nine injured persons were subsequently admitted to two private hospitals in the city. While six of them died during treatment on Thursday, three others succumbed over the last two days. The deceased included six women. Most of the victims were working in the factory's packaging unit when the explosion took place, according to police. The police on Friday arrested Jay Shivshankar Khemka (49), the factory's director of the factory, and manager Sagar Deshmukh. They were produced before the
One person was killed and at least six were injured in a blast at an explosives manufacturing factory in Chhattisgarh's Bemetara district on Saturday, officials said. The explosion occurred in the unit located near Pirda village in Berla development block, a district administration official said. Soon after being alerted, police and rescue teams were rushed to the site, he said. While six persons injured in the blast were taken to Dr BR Ambedkar Memorial Hospital Raipur for treatment, one person was brought dead, Public Relations Officer of the hospital Shubhra Singh told PTI. The injured persons are undergoing treatment, she added. Talking to reporters at the blast site, Bemetara Collector Ranbir Sharma said fire brigade teams and State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) personnel have been deployed. The picture will be clearer after 3-4 hours once the debris at the site is removed, he said. Six injured persons have been shifted to Raipur for treatment, he added. Some eyewitnesses
Prosecutors in Japan indicted a 24-year-old man Wednesday on attempted murder and other charges in the explosive attack on Prime Minister Fumio Kishida in April, Japanese media reported. Kishida was campaigning for elections in Wakayama in western Japan when a man threw a homemade pipe bomb at him. Kishida was unhurt, but two others had minor injuries. After a three-month psychiatric evaluation of the suspect, prosecutors determined that Ryuji Kimura, 24, is mentally fit for trial and that the bomb used in the attack was lethal, Japan's Kyodo news agency reported. Kyodo reported that court records show Kimura may have been angry because he couldn't file for candidacy in elections last year. The attack came about a year after former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was shot and killed while campaigning for elections. Gun and bomb violence in Japan is exceedingly rare, and the attacks on Abe and Kishida shocked many here.