WebinarsNew
Explore Business Standard
A large statue of soccer great Pele was unveiled Thursday in the Mexican city of Guadalajara to commemorate his achievements with the Brazilian national team. Pele, who died at age 82 in 2022, won one of his three World Cup titles in Mexico at the 1970 edition of the tournament. "This monumental figure of this great player, who played here and scored a great goal, is a great gift to the people of Jalisco and to all visitors," Jalisco Gov. Pablo Lemus said. "Pele loved Guadalajara, and the Brazilian national team fell in love with it because the Mexican public gave them everything in 1970." The 9.5-meter-tall (31-foot) statue is located in a public square called Plaza Brazil outside the Jalisco Stadium, which hosted matches in the 1970 and 1986 World Cups. For its 1970 title run, Brazil played its first-round, quarterfinal, and semifinal matches at the stadium before beating Italy in the final at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City. "People who come to the Jalisco Stadium now will stop to
FIFA finally sealed a World Cup broadcast rights deal for China on Friday, just 27 days before the opening game and at a much lower reported price than the soccer body wanted. The overall agreement with China Media Group covered the next four World Cups - two each of the men's and women's - through 2031, FIFA said in a statement. It includes the 48-team, 104-game men's tournament in North America starting on June 11 that China did not qualify for. Chinese state-affiliated media reported on Friday the 2026 World Cup rights were valued at $60 million. FIFA originally sought $300 million, Chinese media reported in recent weeks as the deadline to strike a deal drew closer. A rights deal for India has not been confirmed. "It's a real pleasure that we have found an agreement with CMG," FIFA secretary general Mattias Grafstrom said in the soccer body's statement. He was in China this week, also for meetings with officials from the Chinese soccer federation. FIFA's leverage in China was
Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti has extended his contract with the team until the 2030 World Cup. The 66-year-old Italian coach, who took over in May 2025, had already hinted the extension was likely and confirmed the deal in a video published by the Brazilian soccer confederation, CBF, on Thursday. The announcement comes shortly before Ancelotti reveals his Brazil squad for the upcoming World Cup on Monday. "I arrived in Brazil a year ago. From the first minute, I understood what football means to this country. For a year, we have been working to take the Brazilian national team back to the top of the world. But the CBF and I want more," Ancelotti said. "More victories, more time, more work. We are very happy to announce that we will continue together for another four years. We will go together until the 2030 World Cup." The former Real Madrid and AC Milan coach has had a troubled spell in Brazil so far, with many injured players and doubts as to whether his team can be a serious ...
The World Cup final will feature a star-studded halftime show headlined by Madonna, Shakira and boy-band BTS. FIFA has announced that, for the first time, the final at the Metlife Stadium in New Jersey on July 19 will include a Super Bowl-style concert. Soccer's governing body said the show would support the FIFA Global Citizen Education Fund, which is raising $100 million to help children access education and soccer. FIFA president Gianni Infantino said it would bring together "music and football on the biggest stage in sport for a very special cause." "Every child should have the opportunity to dream, and together we can help make that possible," he posted on Instagram. The show will be curated by Coldplay's Chris Martin. The Super Bowl is famed for its halftime show, attracting the world's biggest stars for spectacular performances. This year featured Puerto Rican artist Bad Bunny. Previous headliners included Michael Jackson, Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, Madonna, Prin