Explore Business Standard
Associate Sponsors
Co-sponsor
India's sugar production rose 18.35 per cent to 19.50 million tonne till January 31 of the ongoing 2025-26 season on higher output in key states, industry body ISMA said on Saturday. Sugar output stood at 16.47 million tonne in the same period of the previous season. Sugar season runs from October to September. According to Indian Sugar & Bio-energy Manufacturers Association (ISMA), 515 sugar mills are operational across the country, slightly higher than 501 mills in operation at the same stage last year. Sugar output in Maharashtra, the country's largest producer, rose 42 per cent to 7.87 million tonne as of January 31 of the current season. The state currently has 206 mills in operation, compared to 190 mills a year ago. Output in Uttar Pradesh, the country's second largest producer, reached 5.51 million tonne so far, around 5 per cent higher from last year, supported by steady crushing operations. Production in Karnataka, the country's third largest producer, also recorded ..
India's sugar production fell 11 per cent year-on-year to 74.05 lakh tonnes during the October 1-December 15 period of the current marketing year, mainly due to lower output in Maharashtra and Karnataka, according to industry body ISMA. The sugar marketing year runs from October to September. In a statement, the Indian Sugar Mills Association (ISMA) said that the sugar production till December 15 in the current 2023-24 marketing year reached 74.05 lakh tonnes against 82.95 lakh tonnes in the corresponding period of the previous year. The number of operating factories stood unchanged year-on-year at 497. "Notably, this year sugar factories in Maharashtra and Karnataka started around 10-15 days later compared to the last year," ISMA said. In Uttar Pradesh, sugar production has increased to 22.11 lakh tonnes till December 15 of the 2023-24 marketing year compared to 20.26 lakh tonnes in the year-ago period. However, the sugar output declined in Maharashtra to 24.45 lakh tonnes from
The government has given a final call to all legal entities engaged in sugar trade to declare their stocks on a food ministry website by October 17, and warned that strict action will be taken against those for violation. On September 23, the Food Ministry had issued an order directing all sugar stakeholders -- wholesalers, retailers, big chain retailers and processors -- to weekly update their stock position on its website. The Ministry, however, observed that many of the legal entities dealing with sugar trade/storage have "still not registered" themselves on the sugar stock management system. "Various instances have been reported to the Directorate of Sugar and Vegetable Oils, where many of these legal entities are having possession of a substantial quantity of unreported sugar stocks," the ministry said in a letter written to all stakeholders. There are cases where these entities are not updating their sugar stock on a regular basis, it said, adding this not only violates the .