Andhra Pradesh chief minister N Chandrababu Naidu announced that the government has decided to "locate the capital city in a central place of the state around Vijayawada". Here are the five most important things you need to know about this city.
1) Located on the banks of Krishna river in Krishna district of south coastal Andhra, Vijayawada is about 300 km from Hyderabad. With a population of over a million as per 2011 census, Vijayawada is a major commercial hub. Some of the best educational institutes, be it high schools or engineering or medical colleges, are situated in the city. Looking at the number of institutes, the city is often referred to as Vidyalawada (place of education).
2) Infrastructure-wise, the city is blessed with a thermal power plant and a unique railway line that connects the northern and southern parts of the country. Any capital would prefer to have unhindered supply of water. Thanks to Prakasam Barrage, that need will be fulfilled. The bridges on Krishna river, the Vijayawada-Amaravati-Mangalagiri ring roads make a further case for the to-be capital.
3) Mangalagiri, Amaravati, Kondapalli, Mylavaram, which abound Vijayawada have lots of available land. If the neighbouring Guntur and Tenali are added to the equation, the emerging area will be bigger than Hyderabad. Speculation is already rife that Tenali and Managalagiri will be developed along the lines of the Delhi National Capital Region (NCR).
4) There is an airport situated at the nearby Gannavaram. The Central Government has already assured the state that the Gannavaram airport will be developed on the lines of a big airport.
5) Rumours are gaining ground that cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar has invested money to buy 100 acres of land in Mangalagiri. The rumors were fueled by his presence in Vijayawada on August 1 to launch the PVP Mall, which will have 4.27 lakh sq feet of space, and Rs 125 crore has been spent on it. Tendulkar has already tied up with the PVP group for the Kochi football team in the newly formed Indian Super League