You are here: Home » Current Affairs » News » National
Business Standard

7 die of asphyxiation while cleaning drain in Andhra's Chittoor district

This incident took place when one of the sanitation workers got inside the drain at the hatchery premises for cleaning it

Press Trust of India  |  Amaravati 

sewage, sanitation, garbage, dirt
Representative image

At least seven workers of a private hatchery died of asphyxiation inside a drain in district of this morning, the police said.

The incident occurred when one of the workers got into the drain at the hatchery premises in Palamaneru mandal, for cleaning it. As he fell unconscious due to asphyxiation, eight other workers got down to rescue him and suffered the same fate, they said, adding the sewer had

Residents of nearby Morum village rushed to the hatchery, broke open the drain's hatch and pulled out the trapped workers. Four of them died on the spot, while three others died while undergoing treatment, the police said.

One worker regained consciousness following treatment and was stated to be stable, while another worker was shifted to the in Chittoor, they said.

Minister N Chinarajappa, who also handles the Home portfolio, expressed grief over the incident and spoke to the district Superintendent of Police about it.

Expressing shock over the deaths, directed the health authorities to ensure proper medical care for the workers undergoing treatment.

YSR also expressed grief over the incident.

Meanwhile, the police have launched a manhunt for the who is on the run following the deaths.

An investigation into the incident is underway, the police said, adding, according to their initial assessment there was "serious negligence" on part of the in ensuring adequate safety measures at the site.

First Published: Fri, February 16 2018. 17:15 IST