You are here: Home » News-ANI » International » World
Business Standard

Facebook introduces new rules for livestreaming after Christchurch shooting

ANI  |  US 

is introducing new rules for its feature, in response to the deadly terrorist attack in that was broadcasted live on the platform.

In a blog post published on Tuesday, announced that it will temporarily restrict users from using its live feature if they break its "most serious policies". The post does not specify these rules but points to the "current community standards" that prohibit spreading terrorist propaganda on the

A told that under the new policy, the alleged Christchurch shooter would not have been able to live stream the March 15 massacre. The statement implies that the alleged shooter had previously broken the Facebook community standards.

The company also announced that it will invest USD 7.5 million in a research partnership with universities that would study ways to improve the existing image and

Following the Christchurch terror attack, some users had modified the gunman's video footage to avoid detection in order to report it after it had been taken down. Facebook and some other companies were heavily criticised for failing to curb the spread of that footage. More than a month after the shooting, its copies could still be found on major tech sites.

Tuesday's announcement by the giant comes ahead of a push by and to encourage tech companies and countries to work together in the effort to limit the spread of

The non-binding agreement, called the Christchurch Call, is expected to be announced on Wednesday at a meeting of digital leaders for the nations.

"I've spoken to directly twice now, and actually we've had good ongoing communication with Facebook," told "The last time I spoke to him a matter of days ago, he did give Facebook's support to this call to action."

"This call to action is not just about regulation, but instead about bringing companies to the table and saying, 'You have a role too, and we have expectations from you,'" she added.

51 people had lost their lives and about as many were injured after a suspected white supremacist targeted two mosques, open firing at those congregated for Friday prayers on March 15.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Wed, May 15 2019. 12:22 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU