The rejection of the Opposition’s impeachment motion against Chief Justice Dipak Misra by Rajya Sabha Chairman Venkaiah Naidu was a partisan order, notwithstanding its endorsement by “eminent jurists”. Whether the Vice-President acted on his own or at the behest of the government, his decision was blatantly unfair and tantamount to a contravention of a constitutional provision. The hasty decision denied 64 MPs a constitutionally guaranteed right to move an impeachment motion. It rested on the assumption that the motion was “politically motivated” sans constitutional validity. Still, the fact remains that all is not right with the Supreme Court.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
First Published: Tue, April 24 2018. 00:26 IST