Disney Channel, India’s #1 entertainment destination for kids and their families swept the competition with an exceptional rating performance this week powered by the premiere of the highly anticipated Disney Channel Original Movie Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension.
The channel received an overwhelming response from its viewers and stood at No. 1 not just in the kid’s genre, but across all channels (Total TV) with 21% share of viewing in Hindi Speaking Markets (HSM) during the primary telecast of the movie. The movie premiere ranked No. 1 among all programs across the kid’s genre this week and delivered a TVR of 2.9 among all kids (CS 4-14 ABC) in HSM. Disney Channel also ranked #1 for Moms and rated higher than all kids, lifestyle and youth channels.
“We are thrilled with the performance of the Disney Channel Original Movie Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension. The response from our viewers is testament to Disney’s storytelling expertise, originality and creativity. Disney's world-class stories and characters are loved by kids, trusted and enjoyed by parents and work on many levels ensuring that it appeals to the whole family," said Natasha Malhotra, vice president and general manager, Walt Disney Television International India.
“Disney Channel has been No. 1 for 15 straight weeks All India and 18 straight weeks in HSM across the kids' genre. Disney Channel is now available in Tamil and Telugu in addition to Hindi and English. We have been committed to exposing Disney's wonderful stories and characters to more kids and families in their language – this week DC is also No. 1 in the South proving that kids and families in the South are enjoying the Disney fare in their local language,” adds Natasha.
Not just in India, but in the United States as well, Phineas and Ferb The Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension holds the record of 2011’s No. 1 entertainment cable telecast and also ranks as basic cable’s most-watched animated telecast ever among kids 2-11; The movie is also cable’s No. 5 movie ever in total viewers across the United States.
• The Disney Network of Channels comprising Disney Channel, Disney XD and Hungama TV is the most watched kid’s network with 48% market share (Source: TAM India | Market: All India | TG: CS 4-14 ABC | Time Period: Wk 26 to Wk 40, 2011 | Day part: 0700 – 2300|Avg. GRPs| *Combined viewership share of Disney channel, Disney XD & Hungama)
• Disney Channel is #1 for 15 weeks All India (Source: TAM India | Market: All India | TG: CS 4-14 ABC | Time Period: Wk 26 to Wk 40, 2011 | Day part: 0700 – 2300|Avg. GRPs)
• Disney Channel is #1 for Moms and rates higher than all kids, lifestyle and youth channels (Source: TAM India | Market: HSM | TG: CS F 25-34 ABC | Time Period: Wk 24 to Wk 40, 2011 | Avg. weekly GRPs | Day part: All day)
• Phineas and Ferb is #1 Disney show on the Disney network and has enthralled over 86.9 million viewers in 2011 (Source: TAM India | Time Period: Wk 1 to Wk 40, 2011 | TG: CS 4+ | Market: All India | Day part: 0700 – 2300)
• ‘Phineas and Ferb’, the series has been honored with a 2010 Emmy® Award for "Outstanding Writing in Animation" and a BAFTA 2009 Children's Award nomination, apart from two Emmy nominations for "Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics" and "Outstanding Original Main Title Theme Music."
• The creators, Dan Povenmire and Jeff ‘Swampy’ Marsh have earlier worked on several other blockbuster shows such as ‘The Simpsons’ and ‘Family Guy’