You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Elephant calf electrocuted in Erode district

Press Trust of India  |  Erode (TN) 

A four-year-old elephant calf was electrocuted after it came into cotact with an electrified fence in a farm in Burugur forest area here, police said today.

The incident came to light after the villagers noticed the male elephant lying dead near a farm in Burgur forest area in Erode district, on Monday morning, and informed the forest officials, they said.

The forest officials along with a veterinary doctor rushed to the spot and examined the calf.

The elephant had died due to electrocution, they said while adding that the fence, which was connected to high voltage power, was erected by Chinniyan (50), a farmer of Kadayareddimalai, to scare away wild animals.

The officials arrested the farmer and are investigating.

The dead calf was buried in the nearby area, the officials added.

First Published: Tue, July 19 2016. 10:13 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU