You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Pompeo delays talks with senior North Koreans

AFP  |  Washington 

US has shelved plans to meet with senior North Korean officials, including one of leader Kim Jong Un's top aides, the State Department said Tuesday.

The talks between Donald Trump's top and the North Korean delegation, which had been due to take place in on Thursday, "will now take place at a later date," State Department

"We will reconvene when our respective schedules permit," she added in a statement.

The announcement came only a day after officials had said Pompeo and -- one of the North Korean leaders right-hand men -- would discuss how much progress had been achieved towards securing denuclearisation since a landmark summit over the summer.

Although Trump has had warm words since he meet with in in June, his administration has nevertheless annoyed by maintaining a regime of sanctions.

North Korea's foreign ministry has warned that will "seriously" consider reviving its nuclear weapons program unless the sanctions are lifted.

In announcing the meeting with Kim Yong Chol, Pompeo said he expected to "make some real progress" including on laying the groundwork for a second summit between Trump and

is a general, a former top intelligence chief and right-hand man to the North Korean leader.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Wed, November 07 2018. 11:55 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU