You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Romania reports first coronavirus death

AFP  |  Bucharest 

Romania reported Sunday the first death on its territory due to the novel coronavirus, a 67-year-old man who was also suffering from advanced cancer, according to the government.

The man had returned from France on 6 March and was quickly admitted to hospital after developing flu-like symptoms.

Romania's foreign ministry announced on Saturday that seven Romanians living abroad, in Italy and France, have died since the start of the pandemic.

While authorities have told the large Romanian diaspora not to come home for Easter, the ministry said that Romanians who were currently abroad as tourists or seasonal workers should return home "urgently".

Romania has confirmed 367 cases of the novel coronavirus so far.

On Saturday the goverment in Bucharest broadened restrictions under the state of emergency brought in to stem the spread of the virus, imposing fresh restrictions on movement and barring most foreigners from entering the country.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Sun, March 22 2020. 16:42 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU