You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

'U'khand police begins fresh search operation near Kedarnath '

Press Trust of India  |  Dehradun 

The Police Friday launched a fresh operation in areas adjoining in search of the skeletal remains of the victims of massive floods and landslides that lashed the region in 2013, officials said.

The operation is in accordance with an order of the High Court passed in 2016 that asked the to conduct fresh searches in the tragedy-hit area to find if any more remains were lying hidden.

Led by SP rank officers, police teams comprising 35 members have gone deep into the jungles around the shrine in search of the remains of people who went missing after the deluge, (law and order) said.

The teams will comb the stretch between Gaurikund and on different routes including Kalimath and Trijuginarayan, the said.

The hight court had issued directives on a PIL that contended that despite the admitting around 3,500 persons had gone missing after the devastating deluge,only 450 bodies had been recovered.

Thirty-one skeletons were recovered from the forests near area in district in October 2016, more than three years after the calamity.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Fri, October 12 2018. 18:30 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU