Posco consortium buys $1.1 bn stake in ArcelorMittal operator

The consortium includes China Steel, which will share a $540 million payment with POSCO

Image
Reuters Seoul
Last Updated : Jan 29 2013 | 2:34 PM IST

A consortium which includes South Korean steelmaker POSCO has agreed to buy a 15% stake in a Canadian iron ore mine operator controlled by ArcelorMittal for $1.1 billion, a source familiar with the deal said on Wednesday.

A POSCO spokeswoman confirmed a consortium involving POSCO signed a stock purchase agreement to acquire a stake in the iron ore mine operator, but declined to elaborate on details.

South Korean wire service Yonhap Infomax reported Wednesday the consortium includes China Steel, which will share a $540 million payment with POSCO. The remaining $560 million is expected to be paid by financial investors including the National Pension Service, the report added.

A source had previously told Reuters that POSCO was seeking to buy the stake with South Korea's National Pension Service and other investors.

 

More From This Section

First Published: Jan 02 2013 | 6:40 AM IST

Next Story