Banks operating in India reported fraud of Rs 4.92 trillion as on March 31, 2021, which represents nearly 4.5% of the total bank credit, showed Reserve Bank of India (RBI) data, which was sought under the Right to Information (RTI) Act by Saurabh Pandhare.
The data showed 90 banks and financial institutions reported a total of 45,613 cases of loan fraud till March 31, 2021.
State Bank of India – the country’s largest lender – reported the highest amount of loans as fraud - Rs 78,072 crore as on March 31, 2021. SBI is followed by Punjab National Bank (Rs 39,733 crore), Bank of India (Rs 32,224 crore), and Union Bank of India (Rs 29,572 crore).
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Subscribe To Insights
Key stories on business-standard.com are available to premium subscribers only.Already a BS Premium subscriber? Log in NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.