Business Standard

Hapur woman reached hospital 3 days after burn injuries

IANS  |  Hapur/New Delhi 

The 28-year-old woman, who had alleged that her father had sold her for Rs 10,000 and that she had been raped by 14 people in the last four years, went to hospital three days after she reportedly attempted to immolated herself, the police said on Thursday.

A senior related to the probe told IANS: "The woman immolated herself on April 28. However, she reached the government hospital in Moradabad on May 1."

According to the victim's statement to the police, she sustained burns on April 28. The police said that in her complaint she had mentioned that she had poured kerosene on herself.

The said the 108 ambulance service that was called to ferry the woman to the was informed that she sustained the burns caused by bursting of a kerosene stove.

The pointed out that in the hospital the woman told doctors that she received the injuries while preparing

"Even the hospital records at the time of the victim's admission show that the injuries were not fresh," he said.

The in its information report to the district police said in Hindi that a 27-year-old woman with burn injuries was brought to the hospital by the 108 Ambulance service at 2.46 p.m on May 1.

The hospital memo also said that the women suffered burn injury at her home. The woman's third husband, who is in in connection with her treatment, said she was taken to the hospital on May 1.

A said the woman has a history of troubled marriages and she has ended her marriage twice before.

"For the first three days, I got her treated at a private clinic near our village," said her current husband. "We feared there would be a police case. Even the landlord of the house where we stayed threatened to throw us out," he said when asked why he did not admit her to the hospital for three days after she sustained injuries.

On the cause of the burns mentioned in the hospital records and the 108 Ambulance service, he said, "Yes, we gave wrong information to the ambulance (service) and the doctors that she received the burns from the kerosene stove as we feared police action."

The third husband of the woman said he brought the woman to a hospital after she had been referred there by the district hospital.

The said the discrepancies in the complaint are making the case challenging. "The woman was first married in 2010. She married another man in Shyampur Jatt in 2012 and all the three children of the couple are living with the second husband," the police officer said.

He said the woman had in late 2017 fled with a man of Shyampur Jatt village in Moradabad and the couple was living there for the last one-and-a-half years.

The (NCW) has sought a report from the Director General of Police O.P. Singh.

(can be contacted at



(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Thu, May 16 2019. 21:54 IST