PC Mohanan and Aloke Kar, both veterans and stalwarts of the official statistical machinery of India, have explained lucidly the difference between work, employment and job in an article for The India Forum. They did this to draw attention to the conceptual challenges of defining employment during a lockdown and the potential erroneous interpretations of the employment data pertaining to a period of severe lockdown.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
SUBSCRIBE TO INSIGHTS
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.