Explore Business Standard
Associate Sponsors
Co-sponsor
Several schools in Gautam Buddh Nagar district of Uttar Pradesh on Thursday received bomb threats, which police said were later found to be hoaxes. According to police, the threats were received through email by various schools in the district, following which security agencies swung into action. "The Gautam Buddh Nagar Police reacted immediately and ensured checking in all the schools through the bomb disposal squad, anti-sabotage check team and dog squad," police said in a statement. Intensive searches are continuing at schools and nothing suspicious has been found so far. Police said a technical investigation into the source of the email is being carried out by the cyber team with utmost seriousness. "The situation is completely normal and peace and order prevail at the spot. People are advised not to pay attention to rumours," police said.
The Punjab Secretariat received a bomb threat e-mail on Thursday, prompting the authorities to carry out an anti-sabotage check, officials said. Police, fire brigade officials, bomb squads, dog squads and an ambulance were rushed to the Secretariat building but even after an extensive search operation, no suspicious material or explosives were found, they said. Police have nevertheless stepped up security around the Secretariat. Last month too, the Punjab Secretariat received a similar threat mail, which turned out to be a hoax. The Punjab and Haryana Secretariat is located at Sector-1 in Chandigarh, which is a high-security zone. Notably, the latest scare comes close on the heels of similar threats in Chandigarh, Amritsar, Jalandhar, Patiala and Haryana schools. All these threats turned out to be hoaxes.
At least three schools in Delhi received bomb threats through e-mail on Thursday morning, prompting swift evacuation and search operations by emergency agencies, an official of the Delhi Fire Services said. "We received information about bomb threat e-mails sent to three schools: CRPF Public School and St Thomas School in Dwarka, and DAV Centenary Public School in Paschim Enclave. Fire tenders and rescue teams were immediately rushed to the locations as a precautionary measure," the DFS officer said. Police teams, bomb disposal squads, dog squads and local administration officials were deployed at the schools soon after the alerts were received, officials said. As a precautionary measure, school authorities evacuated students and staff from the premises while search operations were carried out. No suspicious object was found during preliminary searches, officials said, adding that detailed sanitisation checks were being conducted across the campuses. Police said the cyber teams hav
Authorities at the Rajiv Gandhi International (RGIA) Airport here have declared a bomb threat a hoax after conducting thorough terminal inspections. They received an email warning of a blast at the airport timed to the arrival of a Gulf Air flight from Bahrain, police said on Thursday. The RGI Airport Customer support received the bomb threat email on Wednesday night from an unknown email id with the message titled "Blast in Hyderabad Airport Terminals When Gulf Air 274 From Bahrain Lands to RGIA". "The email threatened a blast at the airport at the time of flight landing. By the time the email was received, the flight had already landed. Security checking was carried out and nothing suspicious was found, and the bomb threat turned out to be a hoax," a police official said. A case was registered, police added.
Investigations are ongoing over a bomb threat against Singapore's Paya Lebar Air Base, which was posted online and later determined to be fake, according to media reports on Saturday. The Republic of Singapore Air Force was made aware of online posts alleging a bomb threat at the country's largest airbase on Friday, reported The Straits Times, citing a Ministry of Defence (MINDEF) spokesperson. "No threat was identified," said the spokesperson, adding that precautionary measures were taken and bomb sweeps were conducted at the airbase, which was previously Singapore's largest commercial airport about five decades ago. The fake bomb threat was posted on a Reddit sub-forum dedicated to national service (a compulsory service in the armed or police force for Singapore youths), with text claiming that a bomb would be detonated within the airbase at a specific time and date. Screenshots of the post also named specific locations within the military base and mentioned the names of commande
Federal authorities said Monday that they foiled a plot to bomb multiple sites of two US companies on New Year's Eve in Southern California after arresting members of an extremist anti-capitalist and anti-government group. The four suspects were arrested Friday in the Mojave Desert east of Los Angeles as they were rehearsing their plot, First Assistant US Attorney Bill Essayli said during a news conference. Officials showed reporters surveillance aerial footage of the suspects moving a large black object in the desert to a table. Officials said they were able to make the arrests before the suspects assembled a functional explosive device. In the criminal complaint, the four suspects named are Audrey Illeene Carroll, 30; Zachary Aaron Page, 32; Dante Gaffield, 24; and Tina Lai, 41. They are all from the Los Angeles area, Essayli said. Officials did not describe a motive but said they are members of an offshoot of a pro-Palestinian group dubbed the Turtle Island Liberation Front. The
At least three private schools in New Delhi received bomb threat emails on Thursday morning, prompting multiple agencies to launch a search operation, an official said. The schools include the British School in Chanakyapuri and the Modern School in Barakhamba. The officer further informed that a bomb disposal squad, a dog squad and the fire department have rushed to the spot and launched a search operation. "So far, nothing suspicious has been found. We are carrying out search operations," the officer added.
Two CRPF-run schools in the national capital received bomb threats on Tuesday morning after an unidentified man called the Police Control Room (PCR) claiming that explosives had been planted on the premises, officials said. The call, made around 9 am, warned that bombs were placed in the CRPF schools located in Prashant Vihar and Dwarka, prompting immediate mobilisation of local police, bomb disposal squads and the Delhi Fire Services. "After receiving the call, teams were rushed to both locations and the school buildings were evacuated as a precaution," a senior police officer said. He said the caller's phone switched off soon after the threat was issued, and attempts to trace him are ongoing. "We thoroughly inspected the schools, and nothing suspicious was found. The threat was declared a hoax," a Delhi Fire Services official said. Police are analysing call records and technical details to identify the caller and ascertain the motive behind the hoax threat, the officer added. N
Police in the Idukki district of Kerala said on Monday that security personnel conducted intensive searches at the more than a century-old Mullaperiyar dam here following a bomb threat. An email, threatening to blow up the reservoir, was received at the district collectorate in neighbouring Thrissur, police said. As soon as the information was received, a team of police and the bomb squad rushed to the dam site and carried out searches there, they said. "Nothing suspicious has been found so far. The inspection is still continuing," a police officer added. Built in 1895, the Mullaperiyar dam is a bone of contention between Tamil Nadu, which owns and operates it, and Kerala, where it is located. The bomb threat was received on a day when the Supreme Court issued notice to the Centre, the Tamil Nadu and Kerala governments, as well as the NDMA, on a PIL seeking construction of a new dam to replace the 130-year-old dam following concerns over its safety and structural stability.
Punjab Police has registered an FIR in connection with a hoax bomb threat on an IndiGo flight that landed at the Shaheed Bhagat Singh International Airport here from Hyderabad last week, officials said on Tuesday. A tissue paper reading "bomb inside" was found in a lavatory during the cleaning of the aircraft after it landed at the airport on July 5, according to the officials. After the note was found, a thorough search of the aircraft was carried out, but no explosive was found, a senior police officer said. Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Amarpreet Singh said, "An IndiGo flight from Hyderabad landed here on July 5 and it was supposed to go to Delhi. After the passengers deboarded, a tissue paper reading "bomb inside" was found in the aircraft's lavatory during cleaning." "This was immediately reported to the airport authorities and police by IndiGo's security manager. An anti-sabotage team, bomb disposal squad and CISF personnel thoroughly checked the aircraft. Passengers'
A Lufthansa flight to Hyderabad that was forced to make a U-turn and return to land at Frankfurt Airport due to a bomb threat landed in the Telangana capital on Monday night local time. A passenger on board told PTI that the plane had landed safely, with the pilot apologising for the inconvenience caused by the delay due to matters beyond their control. "The flight took off and is expected to land at 23:18 hrs, Lufthansa said in response to a query earlier. Flight tracker website Flightaware.Com data showed Sunday's aborted flight en route to Rajiv Gandhi International Airport in Hyderabad. Flight LH752 had earlier departed from Germany on Sunday afternoon local time and was scheduled to land at the Hyderabad airport in the early hours of Monday, but Lufthansa said it had to be turned around over a bomb threat, with passengers provided overnight accommodation. "Out of an abundance of caution, Lufthansa flight LH752 from Frankfurt to Hyderabad returned to its point of departure aft
Panic broke out at Varanasi airport after a foreign national aboard a Bengaluru-bound IndiGo flight claimed he was carrying a bomb, police said on Sunday. The incident took place on Saturday night, police said, adding that the passenger, a Canadian, has been detained. Security sleuths are questioning the man, officials said. Following the bomb scare, the aircraft was moved to the isolation bay for a thorough inspection, but no explosive material was found, said Puneet Gupta, Director of the airport. Gupta said the IndiGo crew promptly informed the Air Traffic Control (ATC) about the threat after the passenger's claim. The flight was grounded and inspected as per standard security protocols. After receiving clearance from security agencies, the aircraft departed for Bengaluru on Sunday morning, officials said. A detailed probe is on in the matter.
Three schools in Delhi received bomb threats over email early on Friday, triggering a multi-agency search of the premises, officials said. The latest threats come on the back of at least 44 schools receiving similar emails on December 9. Police had declared those threats as hoaxes. A Delhi Fire Services official said, "We received calls (regarding the threat emails) from Bhatnagar International School in Paschim Vihar (4:21 am), Cambridge School in Shri Niwas Puri (6:23 am) and DPS Amar Colony in East of Kailash (6:35 am)." The fire department, police and bomb detection teams, along with dog squads, have reached the schools and are conducting checks, he said. The schools' authorities have sent messages to guardians to not send their wards for classes. A police official said checks were underway.
Panic and fear gripped parents across Delhi on Monday morning after 40 schools reportedly received bomb threats via email, prompting immediate evacuations and emergency responses. As the alarming news spread, parents rushed to the schools, their faces etched with anxiety, to ensure the safety of their children. Vipin Bhatra, a parent, shared his distress, and said "I rushed to the school as soon as I received the message about the bomb threat. If situations like this persist, how can we send our children to school with peace of mind?" Another parent, Anuradha echoed similar fears saying that she took her child home but she is still tense. Education is important but incidents like these are terrifying to all parents. Schools should be safe, not a place of constant threats, she said. Scenes of chaos were witnessed at several schools as parents anxious parents led their children away from the school premises. Meanwhile, teachers and staff managed the crisis by gathering students to
Six days after a bomb scare at Aligarh Junction Railway Station, local police continue their search for the alleged suspects. Authorities sprang into action on the evening of November 7, the day Railway Police Force (RPF) was alerted to the possible threat. The police swiftly conducted security measures at the station to prevent any mishap. In an effort to trace the culprits, the police sought assistance from the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU). AMU authorities, led by Proctor Mohamad Waseem Ali, have been working alongside the police, using CCTV footage to identify the suspects. Ali spoke to reporters on Tuesday, stating that despite their efforts, the suspects have not yet been identified. "We have not yet found anyone matching the descriptions from the footage. However, we are continuing our efforts," he said. RPF in-charge at Aligarh, Amit Kumar Singh, said their force is coordinating with the local police and AMU. "We have been maintaining round-the-clock surveillance sinc