WebinarsNew
Explore Business Standard
Australian players who have returned home after the suspension of the IPL and don't want to return to India for the remainder of the high-profile tournament will get support from Cricket Australia, according to a media report here. All the Australian players in various IPL teams have already reached home. Only some former players like Ricky Ponting and Brad Haddin, who are among the coaching staff, are still in India. Other coaches, including Justin Langer and Mike Hussey, have also landed back due to border tensions between India and Pakistan. But the players may be asked to return as the IPL is set to resume within this week after the announcement of ceasefire on Saturday. "Shaken Australian players will be defended by Cricket Australia should they refuse to return to the Indian Premier League on safety grounds," the 'Sydney Morning Herald' declared. "Fear and anxiety remained prevalent emotions among Australian players ... as all made their way home from the IPL, leaving the lik
South Africa's decision to send a second-string side for Tests in New Zealand was a "wake-up call", said Cricket Australia chief Nick Hockley, adding that CA will continue to advocate for series containing a minimum of three matches as part of the World Test Championship (WTC). South Africa faced heavy backlash from current and former players after it named a shadow side for the two-Test tour of New Zealand reserving their top players for the the second season of the SA20 -- launched by CSA and IPL investors last year. While the two Tests in New Zealand are scheduled from February 4 to 17, the SA20 is slated to start from January 10. "That's been a wake-up call for everyone," Hockley told SEN. "The role of T20 [in] bringing new kids and new people into the game can't be underestimated. The belief is that the two can coexist. This was suboptimal scheduling," said Hockley. "I think we in Australia - it's very clear that throughout the whole period the Big Bash has been around - have
Cricket Australia (CA) on Thursday announced it has withdrawn from the upcoming ODI series against Afghanistan, saying it is "unable to proceed" with the fixture amid Taliban's growing restrictions on women and girls. Australia were slated to take on Afghanistan in a three-match ODI series as part of the ICC Super League in UAE in March. However, after "extensive consultation with relevant stakeholders, including the Australian Government", the CA decided to abandon the fixture. "Cricket Australia has decided that it is unable to proceed at this time with the upcoming ICC Super League three-match Men's ODI series between Australia and Afghanistan scheduled for the UAE in March 2023," CA said in a statement. "This decision follows the recent announcement by the Taliban of further restrictions on women's and girls' education and employment opportunities and their ability to access parks and gyms. "CA is committed to supporting growing the game for women and men around the world, ...