You are here: Home » International » News » Politics
Business Standard

Judge halts Trump from building border wall; blocks redirection of funds

US judge's order applies to two projects, scheduled to begin as early as Saturday, to replace 51 miles of fence in two areas on the Mexican border.

AP | PTI  |  San Francisco 

US-Mexico border
The Paso del Norte border crossing bridge that connects El Paso, Texas, US with Ciudad Juarez is pictured during sunset, as seen from Ciudad Juarez. Photo: Reuters

A federal judge blocked on Friday President from building sections of his long-sought border wall with money secured under his declaration of a national emergency.

US District Judge on Friday immediately halted the administration's efforts to redirect military-designated funds for wall construction.

His order applies to two projects, scheduled to begin as early as Saturday, to replace 51 miles of fence in two areas on the Mexican border.

Gilliam issued the ruling after hearing arguments last week in two cases. and 19 other states brought one lawsuit; the and a coalition of communities along the border brought the other.

His ruling was the first of several lawsuits against Trump's controversial decision to bypass the normal appropriations process to pay for his long-sought wall.

"The position that when declines the Executive's request to appropriate funds, the Executive nonetheless may simply find a way to spend those funds 'without Congress' does not square with fundamental separation of powers principles dating back to the earliest days of our Republic," the judge wrote in granting a temporary injunction to stop construction.

At stake is billions of dollars that would allow Trump to make progress in a signature campaign promise heading into his campaign for a second term.

Trump declared a national emergency in February after losing a fight with the Democratic-led House over fully paying for the wall that led to a 35-day government shutdown.

As a compromise on border and immigration enforcement, set aside USD 1.375 billion to extend or replace existing barriers in Texas' Rio Grande Valley, the busiest corridor for illegal crossings.

Trump grudgingly accepted the money, but he declared the emergency to siphon money from other government accounts because he wanted to spend USD 8 billion on wall construction.

The funds include USD 3.6 billion from military construction funds, USD 2.5 billion from Defense Department counter-drug activities and USD 600 million from the Treasury Department's asset forfeiture fund.

The president's adversaries say the emergency declaration was an illegal attempt to ignore Congress, which authorized far less wall spending than Trump wanted.

"We welcome the court's decision to block Trump's attempts to sidestep to build deadly walls that would hurt communities living at the border, endanger wildlife, and have damaging impacts on the environment," said Andrea Guerrero, a member of the

The administration said Trump was protecting national security as unprecedented numbers of Central American asylum-seeking families arrive at the border.

The courtroom showdowns come amid a flurry of activity to accelerate wall construction.

Kenneth Rapuano, an assistant secretary of defense, said in a court filing last month that work on the highest-priority, Pentagon-funded projects could begin as soon as Saturday.

The Defense Department has transferred USD 2.5 billion to border wall coffers.

The Defense Department transferred USD 1 billion to border wall coffers in March and another USD 1.5 billion earlier this month. Patrick Shanahan, the acting defense secretary, is expected to decide soon whether to transfer an additional USD 3.6 billion.

The recently announced several large contacts with funding. Last month, of Galveston, Texas, won a USD 789 million award to replace 74 kilometers of barrier in

Last week, Southwest Valley Constructors of Albuquerque, New Mexico, won a USD 646 million award to replace 101 kilometers in the Border Patrol's Tucson, Arizona, sector. of Bozeman, Montana, won a USD 141.8 million contract to replace 8 kilometers in Yuma and 24 kilometers in El Centro,

The administration has planned to use USD 601 million in Treasury money to extend barriers in the

First Published: Sat, May 25 2019. 09:23 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU