You are here: Home » International » News » Politics
Business Standard

US ready for dialogues with EU on threats posed by China: Pompeo

Mike Pompeo repeatedly mentioned "the threat of the Communist Party in China"

Topics
United States | European Union | China

ANI  |  Asia 

Mike Pompeo
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo during a press conference. (Source: @SecretaryPompeo)

The and the have agreed to launch a dialogue on to address the threats of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), US Secretary of State has said. Pompeo made the remarks during the Brussels Forum in a discussion with the German Marshal Fund.

"Enjoyed the discussions today at the German Marshall Fund's #BrusselsForum. I am excited to announce the U.S. and EU are launching a dialogue on to address the threats the CCP poses to our common values and way of life," tweeted Pompeo on Friday.

ALSO READ: US announces visa curbs on Chinese officials for hurting Hong Kong autonomy

Last week, chief diplomat Josep Borrell has called for talks between Europe and the aimed at forging a common transatlantic front against

During talks with 27 EU Foreign Ministers and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Borrell on June 15 had said the two sides should make common cause "to defend our values and our interest".

"I am pleased to announce that the has accepted High Representative Borrell's proposal to create a US-EU dialogue on China," Pompeo said. "I am excited about a new mechanism for discussing the concerns we have about the threat that China poses to the West and our shared democratic ideals," Pompeo said.

During the Brussels Forum, Pompeo repeatedly mentioned "the threat of the Communist Party in China" and referred to "provocative military actions" of People's Liberation Army (PLA), including "deadly border confrontations" with India.

ALSO READ: Border dispute: Indian envoy warns China of 'ripples and repercussions'

Pompeo said that the behaviour of CCP is fundamentally putting the American people's security at risk and stressed that the Donald Trump administration is the first in decades to take this threat seriously.

The US top diplomat said that Washington is reviewing its global deployment of forces to ensure that it is "postured appropriately" to counter the growing Chinese military threat to countries like India, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines.

First Published: Sat, June 27 2020. 12:15 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU