You are here: Home » International » News » Others
Business Standard

US informed WHO chief Ghebreyesus of $62 million funding cut: State Dept

"Today, we are announcing the remaining portion of the 2020 assessment, slightly more than USD 62 million, will be reprogrammed to the UN to pay other assessments," Cook said in a briefing

Topics
World Health Organisation | WHO | Donald Trump

ANI  |  US 

WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus
The WHO said it's January 30 emergency declaration gave the United States sufficient time to prepare.

The United States informed World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus that Washington is reprogramming USD 62 million to finalize its withdrawal from the body, State Department official Nerissa Cook said on Wednesday.

"Today, we are announcing the remaining portion of the 2020 assessment, slightly more than USD 62 million, will be reprogrammed to the UN to pay other assessments," Cook said in a briefing.

"The information... was also presented to Director-General Tedros," Cook added.

Cook said USD 58 million had already been contributed at the time of President Donald Trump's April decision to suspend additional funding. Washington pulled out of the earlier this year after claiming the body helped China conceal information about the origins of COVID-19.

The said it's January 30 emergency declaration gave the United States sufficient time to prepare while Beijing has said it has been transparent about the details of the virus's origins.

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Thu, September 03 2020. 06:55 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
.