You are here: Home » News-IANS » Politics
Business Standard

Lagarde 'horrified' by missing journalist case, but will attend Saudi conference

IANS  |  Nusa Dua (Indonesia) 

on Saturday said that she was "horrified" by reports about the fate of missing Saudi but still plans to attend a business forum in this month as she has "to conduct the business of the IMF in all corners in the world".

Saudi disappeared last week from his country's consulate in where he went for paperwork to marry his Turkish fiancee. officials say they have audio and visual evidence that shows he was killed inside the consulate.

Saudi Arabia, however, firmly denies any involvement in his disappearance.

Lagarde, who was addressing reporters at the closing press conference of the IMF annual meeting in Bali, said: "At this point in time, my intention is to not change my plan and to be very attentive to the information that is coming up in the next few days."

She said despite being "horrified" by the reports she has "to conduct the business of the IMF in all corners in the world", news reported.

In the last few hours, several sponsors and guests have announced their withdrawal from the Future Investment Initiative, also known as "in the Desert", scheduled to take place between October 23-25.

Among them was Jim Yong Kim, who already informed Saudi authorities that he would skip the conference, without giving a reason, reports said.

US television channel CNBA tweeted that it would not be attending the forum in "due to the continuing questions surrounding the disappearance of Khashoggi".

on Friday said it had "withdrawn its participation" while Andrew Ross Sorkin, a for The New York Times, also announced skipping the conference.

CNBC, and too cancelled their participation.

Hosted by Saudi Crown Mohammad Bin Salman Al Saud, the event is designed to showcase his Vision 2030 plan to break the country's dependence on

Steven Mnuchin, who was also in for the IMF meetings, said he still intended to go the event.

The has not officially responded to claims by friends and colleagues, who fear the 59-year-old Saudi national was murdered inside the consulate.

Khashoggi has had long-standing ties to the Saudi royal family, but has written critically of the current government and the Saudi Crown

Saudi Arabia's Minister of the Interior, Abdulaziz bin Saud Naif bin Abdulaziz, has condemned and dismissed reports that the was murdered as "lies and baseless allegations", the said on Friday.

--IANS

soni/

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Sat, October 13 2018. 14:50 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU