What Mark Twain said of politicians—that like diapers, they should be changed periodically — applies to business leaders as well. Exceptions apart, a healthy CEO tenure is less than 10 years. American presidency is restricted to two terms. Among Indian prime ministers — Pandit Nehru, Indira Gandhi, Rajiv Gandhi, and Manmohan Singh — all started well. After seven years in office, each of them started to lose leadership impact. There seems to be a jinx after 7-10 years.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
First Published: Tue, August 10 2021. 23:05 IST