In a tragic incident, four agriculture workers, including an 11-year-old girl, died of electrocution in a farm in Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh today, a police official said.
Another girl suffered burn injuries and was rushed to a hospital in Kovelakuntla for treatment, the official said.
An electric fence around the farm meant to keep away wild boars from destroying the crop proved the death trap for the hapless farm workers when they set out for work, he said.
Power suddenly flowed in the electrical wiring and caught the workers unawares, leading to their death, said the official.
The deceased, who belonged to Mikkinenipalli village, were identified as Sukhur Basha (35), U Sudhakar (20), Maddamma (70) and Pravallika (11).
Maddammas grand daughter Rajita suffered burns in the incident, he said.
The Sanjamala police are investigating the case.
YSR Congress president Y S Jaganmohan Reddy, in a statement, expressed shock and grief over the incident.
He extended sympathies to the bereaved families.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)