You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Geoffrey Rush exits new stage production, cites 'current circumstances' as reason

Press Trust of India  |  Melbourne 

has pulled out of a Shakespeare stage production for Melbourne Company, citing "current circumstances and medical advice" as the reasons.

In a statement released by the company, Rush said he would no longer be a part of production of "Twelfth Night", which is due to begin in four months.

"Due to my current circumstances and medical advice, I must withdraw from the upcoming project of 'Twelfth Night'. I do so with the greatest regret. I know that I would not be able to provide the necessary creative spirit and the professional stamina required for the project," Rush said.

"I am certain that Simon Phillips, the director, will deliver an outstanding production and I wish all involved the very best in its success," he added.

Melbourne Company's artistic said they respect the "Pirates of the Caribbean" actor's decision and will soon announce his replacement.

"respects Geoffrey's decision and will be working immediately with to cast the role in what will continue to be an exciting landmark work in the season. Out of respect for Geoffrey's privacy we will be making no further comment on this matter. Casting announcements will be made in due course," Sheehy said.

Rush, 67, was last year accused of sexual misconduct and inappropriate behaviour in a report in Australia's Daily Telegraph, which stated that Sydney Company received a complaint against winner, who starred in its 'King Lear' adaptation in 2015.

In response, the is suing the publication for defamation over the series of articles.

The had vehemently denied the allegations and said that his conduct has always been beyond reproach.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Tue, July 10 2018. 15:15 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU