Associate Sponsors

Co-sponsor

Covid-19 lockdown: Mondelez, other FMCG giants indicate dent in business

In an investor call, Dirk Van de Put, Mondelez's global chairman and CEO said the firm went "absolutely blank" in the first phase of the lockdown, which began on March 25

Dirk Van de Put, Global chairman & CEO, Mondelez
Dirk Van de Put, Global chairman & CEO, Mondelez
Viveat Susan Pinto Mumbai
4 min read Last Updated : Apr 29 2020 | 10:58 PM IST
Confectionary major Mondelez, owner of the Cadbury brand, on Wednesday said the nationwide lockdown has taken a toll on the firm, the country’s largest chocolate maker. Mondelez joins a slew of global firms that have indicated a dent in their business due to the curbs.
 
In an investor call, Dirk Van de Put, Mondelez’s global chairman and chief executive officer (CEO) said the firm went “absolutely blank” in the first phase of the lockdown, which began on March 25, with close to “zero sales” during the period.

“When the original lockdown was announced, it was impossible to get people into these units given the fact that we have multiple plants. And, to have people from the distribution centres to be able to supply to the distributors, it was impossible to even get trucks,” he said.

While the situation was improving day by day, the magnitude of the problem has been severe, he said. “The trade is absolutely empty. It can go back to normalcy, but it will take some time,” said Van de Put about the Indian market.
 
Companies from Unilever to Proctor & Gamble, Nestlé, Coca-Cola and PepsiCo have all alluded to lockdown challenges in India and the globe as well as the impact it will have on April-June as well as full-year numbers. On Thursday, Unilever withdrew its 2020 growth and margin guidance amid the coronavirus pandemic, the second time in five months the company had flagged growth concerns.
 
In an earnings’ call, Alan Jope, CEO, Unilever, said, India had come to a “complete standstill” in the last week of March following the lockdown, impacting its business significantly.


“India is a big deal for us. While we are back up manufacturing and selling in India, not at full strength, but at good strength, we are still unable to operate business completely there. And though we will come out of this with an enhanced competitiveness, things will get difficult in Q2 (April-June) before they get easier,” he said.
 
Unilever’s Indian subsidiary Hindustan Unilever will report its January-March numbers on Thursday, with analysts expecting a 2-4 per cent decline in sales and volume growth for the period. This will be on account of the nationwide lockdown and subsequent supply chain disruption in March. Mark Schneider, CEO, Nestlé SA, meanwhile, was circumspect about the firm’s performance in April-June, declining to give an outlook for the period.
 
Nestlé had reported its highest sales growth in five years for the March quarter on Friday, led by consumers stockpiling food and groceries in the wake of shutdowns across the globe.

“It is important not to get carried away by the strong organic growth in January-March as the situation remains highly volatile, with significant ups and downs across categories and regions,” Schneider said.
 
James Quincey, chairman and CEO, The Coca-Cola Company, said the severity of social distancing measures in India had negatively impacted consumption in the market, since there was “significant reduction in shopping trips” in end of March and April.
 
A Coca-Cola India spokesperson, in response to a mail, said that the company was operating its manufacturing facilities in a “very small number” in compliance with the local government regulation.
 
In calendar year 2019, Coca-Cola India had emerged the fifth-largest market for the global beverage maker, reporting one billion in full-year unit sales.

Ramon Laguarta, chairman and CEO, PepsiCo Inc, on the other hand, said that uncertainties remained on how countries would go back to normal once the lockdown was lifted.
 
“We don’t think it’s going to be a straight line once people go back to moving around. It’s going to be restricted mobility, I think, and with potential second waves in some particular markets. That’s why we’re staying cautious,” said Laguarta in an investor call on Tuesday, adding food sales would be better than beverage sales in the second quarter.
 

One subscription. Two world-class reads.

Already subscribed? Log in

Subscribe to read the full story →
*Subscribe to Business Standard digital and get complimentary access to The New York Times

Smart Quarterly

₹900

3 Months

₹300/Month

SAVE 25%

Smart Essential

₹2,700

1 Year

₹225/Month

SAVE 46%
*Complimentary New York Times access for the 2nd year will be given after 12 months

Super Saver

₹3,900

2 Years

₹162/Month

Subscribe

Renews automatically, cancel anytime

Here’s what’s included in our digital subscription plans

Exclusive premium stories online

  • Over 30 premium stories daily, handpicked by our editors

Complimentary Access to The New York Times

  • News, Games, Cooking, Audio, Wirecutter & The Athletic

Business Standard Epaper

  • Digital replica of our daily newspaper — with options to read, save, and share

Curated Newsletters

  • Insights on markets, finance, politics, tech, and more delivered to your inbox

Market Analysis & Investment Insights

  • In-depth market analysis & insights with access to The Smart Investor

Archives

  • Repository of articles and publications dating back to 1997

Ad-free Reading

  • Uninterrupted reading experience with no advertisements

Seamless Access Across All Devices

  • Access Business Standard across devices — mobile, tablet, or PC, via web or app

Topics :CoronavirusMondelezUnileverHindustan UnileverP&GnestleNestle IndiaCoca Colacoca cola indiaPepsiCoFMCG sectorFMCG firms

Next Story