WebinarsNew
Deep DiveNew
Explore Business Standard
Two people were killed after a Russian strike hit the ArcelorMittal steel plant in Ukraine, partially disrupting operations at the country's largest steelworks owned by Indian billionaire Lakshmi Mittal. According to Russian state-run newspaper Rossiya Gazeta, the strike on Sunday hit key energy and blast furnace production facilities at the plant in Kryvyi Rih. "ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine's largest steel plant, announced a partial shutdown following Russian strikes," it said. The report described the facility as part of Ukraine's strategic economic and security complex. Quoting ArcelorMittal's press service, Ukraine's English-language newspaper Kyiv Post reported that the missile strike on the facility killed two people and injured 13 workers and contractors. Search and rescue operations are ongoing, involving firefighters, rescue workers, and medical personnel, it said. The attack damaged primary production facilities related to energy and blast furnace operations, promp
ArcelorMittal on Thursday posted a about 62 per cent year-on-year fall in its net income to USD 683 million in the June 2026 quarter. The company, which also has a significant presence in India, had reported a net income of USD 1,793 million in the second quarter of 2025. However, on a quarter-on-quarter basis, the company's net income in April-June was around 19 per cent higher than USD 575 million in January-March or the first quarter of 2026, driven by sales growth. Luxembourg-headquartered ArcelorMittal follows January to December as its financial year. In the second quarter, its sales rose to USD 16.8 billion from 15.9 billion in April-June 2025. On a quarter-on-quarter basis, sales increased by 8.4 per cent compared to USD 15.5 billion in Q1 2026, reflecting 4.4 per cent higher average steel prices and a 4.1 per cent increase in steel shipments. Crude steel production was at 14.3 million tonne, marginally lower from 14.4 MT in the second quarter last year, but higher than 1
ArcelorMittal on Monday said it has partnered with Amazon Web Services (AWS) to automate its global operations through the US tech major's cloud and AI capabilities. "The collaboration brings AWS cloud and AI capabilities directly to ArcelorMittal's manufacturing processes, providing opportunities for further optimisation and improvement of safety, asset reliability and energy efficiency," the steel major, which also has a presence in India, said in a statement. The company said it will converge some of its operational technology (OT) and information technology (IT) on AWS infrastructure, designed for security and scale, extending cloud and AI to the edge of its production environments. Using AWS services across industrial IoT, real-time sensor data and machine learning, the company will deploy AI at the point of production, enabling predictive maintenance, computer-vision quality control, process optimisation and digital twins of its physical assets and production lines. Further,
India is set to become a key engine of global steel demand over the coming decades, driven by large-scale infrastructure development, urbanisation and investments linked to the energy transition, ArcelorMittal Executive Chairman Lakshmi Mittal said on Thursday. Speaking ahead of ArcelorMittal's 20th anniversary on July 31, Mittal said the global steel industry was entering a new phase in which India is expected to play a role similar to that played by China over the past two decades. The last 20 years have been characterised by China's remarkable growth. Now it is India's turn, with massive infrastructure expansion, rapid urban housing growth and energy-transition infrastructure all on the cards, Mittal said in a video message to delegates attending the World Steel Dynamics Global Steel Dynamics Forum 2026 in New York. Reflecting on the merger of Mittal Steel and Arcelor in 2006, which created the world's largest steelmaker, Mittal said the combination had strengthened the company .
Indian-origin steel magnate Lakshmi N Mittal, until now based in Britain and a regular on the country's richest billionaires tally, has decided to quit the UK as the Labour Party-led government's feared tax shake-up for the super-rich nears, according to a UK media report on Sunday. Rajasthan-born Mittal is a resident in Switzerland for tax and will now spend much of his future in Dubai, according to the The Sunday Times'. The founder of ArcelorMittal steelworks is worth an estimated 15.4 billion pounds as per the 2025 Sunday Times Rich List', which ranked him the UK's eighth richest man. Now, the newspaper references sources close to the 75-year-old industrialist to claim he has become the latest billionaire to leave the UK ahead of a much-anticipated Budget by Chancellor Rachel Reeves on Wednesday. Mittal already has a mansion in Dubai and has now bought up tracts of an intriguing development on the nearby Naa Island in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the newspaper claims. The n
An Expert Appraisal Committee under the MoEFCC has deferred its decision on granting environmental clearance to ArcelorMittal Nippon Steel India Limited's proposed 8.2 million tons per annum steel plant at Anakapalli District of Andhra Pradesh, seeking some clarifications. AMNSIL has approached the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) seeking environmental clearance for its Rs 1.50 lakh crore steel plant. The EAC deliberated on the proposal in its meeting held on October 30. "In view of the foregoing and after detailed deliberations, the committee deferred the instant proposal, and asked Ind-1 sector to obtain a clarification from CP Division (Controller of Pollution) on applicability of GSR 85E to the instant proposal, in view of the fact that the site possessed an EC earlier," the EAC said in the Minutes of Meeting. The total capital cost of the Environmental Management Plan which will be incurred for the proposed integrated steel plant is estimated to be .
Steel and mining major ArcelorMittal on Thursday reported a 31.35 per cent rise in net income to USD 377 million in the September quarter. The Luxembourg-based company had posted a net income of USD 287 million in the year-ago period. The net income is attributable to equity holders of the parent company. The company follows a January-December financial year. Its sales increased by 3 per cent to USD 15,657 million, over USD 15,196 million a year ago. "While markets are challenging and tariff-related headwinds persist, we are seeing signs of stabilisation and are optimistic on the outlook for our business in 2026, when we will benefit from more supportive industry policies in key markets," its Chief Executive Officer Aditya Mittal said in a statement. "Turning to financial performance, the company reported resilient results in what is typically a seasonally weak quarter. The underlying strength of the business is again evident in the structurally higher margins delivered over the