Explore Business Standard
Associate Sponsors
Co-sponsor
Pandit Pant Marg between GRG Circle and PM Circle will remain closed for general traffic movement for around 12 months February 23 onwards in view of the construction of the underground Yuge Yugeen Bharat Metro Station, Delhi Traffic Police said in an advisory issued Saturday. According to the advisory, the stretch will be shut to facilitate Delhi Metro construction work, and commuters should plan their journeys accordingly to avoid inconvenience. The traffic police said vehicles coming on Pandit Pant Marg from Gol Dak Khana are advised to take Dr Bishambar Das Marg, proceed towards Gurudwara Rakabganj Road (GRG Road) and then use Church Lane towards Church Road. Similarly, vehicles coming from Church Road have been advised to take the lane for going towards GRG Road, Talkatora Road and Pandit Pant Marg. To ease congestion in the area, the police have suggested alternative routes including Sansad Marg, Patel Chowk Roundabout, Ashoka Road, Baba Kharak Singh Marg, Bishambar Das Road,
Spanning around89 kilometres, the Magenta Line of the Delhi Metro is set to become the longest corridor in the network, with the highest number of interchange and underground stations, strengthening connectivity across the national capital. According to the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC), following the sanction of Phase V (A), the extension of the Magenta Line from Ramakrishna Ashram Marg to Indraprastha via Central Vista will be taken up. The IndraprasthaInderlok corridor under Phase IV will also be implemented as an extension of the Magenta Line, it said. With these additions, the total length of the Magenta Line, from Botanical Garden to Inderlok, will be around 89 kilometres, making it the longest corridor in the Delhi Metro network. Once fully operational, the entire stretch will function as a driverless corridor, the corporation said. The DMRC said the Magenta Line will have 21 interchange stations after completion. At present, the operational section has four interchang
The Mayur Vihar Pocket 1 Metro Station in east Delhi has been renamed Shri Ram Mandir Mayur Vihar, following a long-standing demand from locals and the community, an official said on Saturday. The official said the necessary procedures for the renaming have been completed, and the revised name has come into effect. A government officer said that the decision was taken by the State Names Authority of Delhi, headed by Chief Minister Rekha Gupta. The 29-member committee decides proposals to name and rename streets, parks, colonies, roundabouts and other civic infrastructures in the city. Local BJP MLA from Trilokpuri Ravi Kant thanked the chief minister for renaming the Metro station after the Ram temple. "It was a long-standing demand of the locals, and I was pursuing it with our government for the past six months," he said. He noted that a Ram temple was located close to the Mayur Vihar Pocket 1 Metro station, and locals had been demanding for years now to rename it. The MLA said h
Exit gates of Udyog Bhawan and Central Secretariat metro stations facing Rafi Marg will remain closed for four hours on January 28 and 29, the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) said on Wednesday citing security arrangements for the Beating Retreat Ceremony 2026. The specific gates will remain closed from 2 pm to 6 pm, it said. In a post on X, the DMRC advised commuters to plan their journeys in advance and follow station announcements during the temporary closure on both days. Enhanced security checks will be in place at all Metro stations till January 29, urging passengers to allow extra travel time and maintain discipline while queuing to ensure a smooth commute, it said. The Delhi Traffic Police has also announced restrictions at several locations in central Delhi due to rehearsals for the ceremonial event around Vijay Chowk. Curbs will be enforced from 4 pm to 6 pm on January 28 to facilitate security and movement arrangements in the area, it said. The Beating Retreat cerem
A video purportedly showing a man urinating inside a Delhi Metro station was widely shared online, triggering widespread criticism from users over poor civic sense and hygiene at public places. Reacting to the video, the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) urged commuters to help maintain cleanliness on its premises. "DMRC requests all its passengers to help in keeping the premises clean and hygienic. If passengers notice any such activity by a fellow passenger, they should immediately bring the same to the notice of DMRC authorities," it said. Several social media users condemned the act, calling it "shameful" and "deeply disturbing," while questioning the lack of basic civic responsibility in shared public spaces. One user wrote that such behaviour 'undermines the effort put into maintaining public infrastructure," while another urged authorities to impose strict penalties to deter similar incidents. Users also tagged the DMRC, seeking firm action against those violating cleanli
The trains on the Delhi Metro's Airport Express Line are being operated at a restricted speed between Dhaula Kuan and Shivaji Stadium stations due to the damaged signalling cables after a theft attempt, officials said on Sunday. About 800 metres of signalling cables were cut during the attempt in the midsection between the two stations, disrupting the signalling system, the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) said. The cut cable pieces were later found lying near metro pillar number 09 during inspection, it added. As a result, trains are being operated at a restricted speed of 25 kmph on the affected up line section towards New Delhi between Dhaula Kuan and Shivaji Stadium stations, DMRC said. Services on the remaining stretch of the Airport Express Line are running normally, it said. The Airport Express Line normally operates with a frequency of one train every 10 minutes, DMRC said, adding that replacing the damaged signalling cables during revenue hours is not possible without
The Delhi Metro on Thursday operated its first-ever train, TS#01, as a special service to mark the anniversary of the commencement of passenger services on the network in 2002. The train was run on the 8.3-km Shahdara-Tis Hazari section, where Delhi Metro services were inaugurated more than two decades ago, enabling passengers to relive the experience of the historic inaugural run, according to a statement. TS#01 was decorated with flowers and a commemorative banner on the occasion, while passengers travelling on the special service were greeted with flowers, it said. The Delhi Metro began operations in 2002, starting a journey that has since grown into one of India's largest and most successful urban mass transit systems. December 24 marks the completion of 23 years of its operations. TS#01 continues to remain in active service. Originally introduced as a four-coach train, it was expanded to six coaches in 2014 and further to eight coaches in 2023 to meet rising passenger demand,
Delhi Chief Minister Rekha Gupta on Sunday said that three metro stations in Pitampura will be renamed for the sake of local identity. She made the announcement while attending the Shresth Bharat Sampark Yatra in Haiderpur village here. The yatra was taken out in honour of the martyrs of the Rezang La battle, fought by the Indian Army against the invading Chinese forces in the winter of 1962 at over 16,000 ft above mean sea level. In all, 114 army men of the 13 Kumaon Regiment died in that battle. Later, in a post on X, the chief minister said Haiderpur village is emerging as a symbol of a developing Delhi, where tradition is honoured, and modern amenities are accorded the highest priority. "For the convenience of travellers and to clearly reflect the local identity, the proposed Uttari Pitampura Station in the QU Block will now be named Uttari Pitampura-Prashant Vihar Metro Station," Gupta said. The proposed Pitampura North Metro Station will be named Haiderpur Village Metro ...
The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation on Saturday reopened two entry gates at Lal Quila Metro station, nearly four days after the facility was shut in the aftermath of the powerful blast near the Red Fort. In a post on X, the DMRC said, "The Red Fort metro station's gate numbers 2 and 3 are now open for commuters, restoring partial access that had been suspended as part of security measures following the incident." The explosion on Monday evening near the Red Fort had prompted an immediate lockdown of the surrounding area, with enhanced checks and movement restrictions in force for several days as security agencies carried out investigations. The reopening of the two gates is expected to ease pedestrian movement around the busy heritage zone, particularly for tourists and traders operating in the adjoining markets.