Delhi Police

Three-member panel to be set up to probe police excesses during CJP stir

Three-member panel will examine allegations of excessive police force and violence, while the Supreme Court may consider quashing criminal proceedings against students

Updated On: 18 Aug 2026 | 9:56 PM IST

Delhi Neet protests: SC to form panel to probe police excess allegations

The Supreme Court has said that the video footage of the July 20 Parliament march will be handed over to a high-powered committee comprising former judges, an ex-CBI director, and a former DGP

Updated On: 18 Aug 2026 | 2:37 PM IST

History-sheeters infiltrated Jul 20 protest, 240 cops injured: Delhi Police

The Delhi Police has strongly defended the use of force during the "Chalo Sansad" protest here on July 20, telling the Supreme Court that the agitation was hijacked by "anti-social elements" and "history-sheeters", resulting in a breakdown of law and order that left more than 240 police personnel injured. The Delhi Police affidavit, filed by Deputy Commissioner of Police Sachin Sharma of the New Delhi district in response to a batch of petitions alleging excessive use of force against protesters, said the force was willing to have its actions examined by a court-appointed panel. "The use of force by police can be gone into by a Committee appointed by this Hon'ble Court and the Delhi police will fully cooperate with such Committee and provide all details necessary. "At the cost of repetition, it is submitted that since a Committee may be appointed by this Hon'ble Court which will examine all the issues related to use of force by the police officials," it said. On August 3, a bench .

Updated On: 18 Aug 2026 | 2:15 PM IST

Independence Day 2026: Delhi on high alert; over 25,000 personnel deployed

The capital is on high alert in view of Independence Day celebrations, with more than 25,000 Delhi Police and paramilitary personnel deployed across the city to maintain law and order, while a multi-layered security grid has been placed around the Red Fort, involving over 1,000 CCTV cameras and AI-based video analytics, a senior police officer said. Elaborate security arrangements are in place around the historic Red Fort, where Prime Minister Narendra Modi will unfurl the national flag and address the nation. "We have elaborate security arrangements, keeping in mind the incidents witnessed in the capital last year," Deputy Commissioner of Police (North) Raja Banthia told PTI. The security plan includes multiple layers of checking and screening at entry points and around the Red Fort, besides a dedicated anti-terror response mechanism to deal with any possible threat or emergency situation, the officer said. More than 25,000 Delhi Police and paramilitary personnel are deployed at .

Updated On: 15 Aug 2026 | 7:36 AM IST

Red Fort security tightened with multi-layered arrangements for I-Day

Security agencies have also carried out mock drills and advance liaison with various stakeholders to ensure better coordination during the celebrations

Updated On: 14 Aug 2026 | 3:42 PM IST

Delhi HC, IGI Airport receive bomb threats ahead of I-Day, declared hoax

The Delhi High Court on Friday received a bomb threat via e-mail that led to panic in the premises. The threat comes a day ahead of Independence Day. According to court sources, the registrar general of the high court is in touch with the Delhi Police for necessary assistance. The sources said the email mentioned "blast Delhi High Court @ 2:11 pm". A bomb disposal squad and sniffer dogs also reached the high court premises and security has been beefed up. Police said several government installations in the national capital received bomb threat emails on Friday, prompting multiple agencies to launch searches and security checks a day ahead of the Independence Day and high alert in the capital. Police source said dog squad, bomb disposal squad, fire department and many other security agencies are conducting checking, nothing suspicious so far found. Security agencies and local police teams launched searches at the locations following the threats. "Nothing suspicious has been found a

Updated On: 14 Aug 2026 | 2:33 PM IST

I-Day: Delhi Police digitally maps 7 parking locations near Red Fort

Delhi Traffic Police on Thursday said it has digitally mapped seven designated locations near the Red Fort to facilitate hassle-free parking and navigation for visitors and dignitaries attending the Independence Day celebrations. The initiative has been undertaken in collaboration with Google Maps and Mappls as part of the traffic police's technology-driven efforts to streamline vehicular movement during the event, traffic police said in a statement. The seven parking locations have been mapped on Google Maps, while QR codes have been generated for each location on Mappls, enabling users to scan and navigate directly to their designated parking areas, it said. The parking information is available on Delhi Traffic Police's official X handle. According to the statement, the initiative aims to reduce unnecessary vehicular movement, improve traffic management and provide commuters with real-time navigation support during the Independence Day celebrations.

Updated On: 14 Aug 2026 | 7:45 AM IST

SC to examine Delhi Police's use of facial recognition tech during protests

A petition by CPI(M) MP A A Rahim alleges Delhi Police used facial recognition systems to identify protesters and shared the collected information with private companies

Updated On: 13 Aug 2026 | 7:20 PM IST

Neet stir: SC to hear plea against Delhi Police's use of facial recognition

The Supreme Court on Thursday agreed to hear a plea filed by a Rajya Sabha lawmaker challenging the alleged deployment of facial recognition technology and other biometric surveillance measures by Delhi Police during the recent student protest at Jantar Mantar here. A bench of Chief Justice Surya Kant and Justices Joymalya Bagchi and V Mohana directed the matter be tagged with earlier petitions on the issue. Senior advocate Menaka Guruswamy, appearing for Rajya Sabha MP AA Rahim, said there are two issues which are a matter of concern-facial recognition of protestors done by Delhi police and data stored by private companies. "One maps your face and one is a vehicle. So spectacles are used and a vehicle is also used. And that data is all taken without permission. These private entities host the data. In violation of the rules," she submitted. The bench said it would hear the petition along with other related matters. Rahim, who is member of the Rajya Sabha from Kerala for the Commu

Updated On: 13 Aug 2026 | 12:48 PM IST

Delhi Police busts pan-India cyber fraud network with Qatar, Dubai links

The Delhi Police has arrested nine persons allegedly associated with a pan-India investment fraud and cyber mule syndicate purportedly linked to 34 complaints involving more than Rs 15.71 crore, officials said on Tuesday. The probe has also uncovered suspected links with persons based in Qatar, and alleged operational coordination with Dubai-based cybercriminals, they said. The accused Jamaluddin Faisal (30), Sarabjit Singh (43), Sonia Sharma (42), Shoeb Dilavar Saiyyad (26), Siddiki Mahamadsiddik Mufidbhai (30), Shaikh Riyazuddin Imtiyaz (29), Hamza Humayu (26), Kamalsha Kadarshah (30) and Muzamil Thaib (20) were arrested from Kerala, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Punjab. The case came to light after a Palam Colony resident alleged he was lured into social media groups appearing to be investment-learning platforms. The accused allegedly impersonated market analysts and investment professionals, showed fabricated trading profits and persuaded him to invest through a fraudulent trading ..

Updated On: 11 Aug 2026 | 4:09 PM IST

SC clarifies student protest relief, narrows scope of criminal records

Top court says only those accused of grave and heinous offences fall outside its protection for student protesters, while allowing governments to withdraw FIRs.

Updated On: 03 Aug 2026 | 8:33 PM IST

Discuss our trauma too: Kin of injured Delhi cops seek Parliament attention

Discuss our trauma in Parliament too, the families of four Delhi Police personnel injured in the July 20 CJP-led march to Parliament said on Friday while stressing that the discourse so far has largely centred on allegations of police excesses. Seeking to tell "their side" of the violence that broke out during the 'Sansad Chalo' march, they pressed for a discussion in Parliament on the injuries suffered by policemen on duty and the trauma endured by their families, saying the conversation so far had focused mainly on charges against the force. Addressing a press conference at the Constitution Club of India, the wife of an ACP, the wife of an ASI, and the children of two injured police officers recounted the hours they spent waiting for phone calls from hospitals, seeing bloodied family members return home and, later, watching social media narratives that they felt overlooked the injuries sustained by the police personnel. Recalling the night her husband returned home injured, Upneet

Updated On: 31 Jul 2026 | 1:18 PM IST

Police probe alleged AI use by protesters to counter crowd-control measures

Investigation into the July 20 clashes during the "Chalo Sansad" protest organised by the CJP has revealed that some protesters may have used AI tools to learn methods of countering police crowd-control measures, including use of wet jute bags to minimise effects of tear gas, police sources said on Thursday. According to the source, the ongoing investigation has indicated that some participants may have searched artificial intelligence (AI) platforms for information on mitigating the impact of tear gas, and preparing for confrontations with security personnel. "The investigation is being carried out through multiple methods. We have reasons to believe that some protesters used AI tools or other generative AI platforms to search for ways to immediately reduce the effects of tear gas, including use of wet jute bags, and to prepare themselves with hard hats, masks and goggles," the source told PTI. He said police are in the process of collecting evidence, which is a time taking ...

Updated On: 30 Jul 2026 | 4:01 PM IST

Delhi Police registers FIR over abusive posts against PM, seeks details

Delhi Police has registered an FIR against several social media handles for allegedly posting "derogatory, malicious and defamatory content" targeting Prime Minister Narendra Modi and sought complete details of account holders from X, official sources said on Wednesday. The case was registered by the Special Cell's Intelligence Fusion and Strategic Operations (IFSO) unit, which also issued notices to X and directed it to remove or disable access to identified posts and preserve all related electronic records for investigation, the sources said. X, formerly Twitter, has been directed to remove or disable access to the content within three hours of receiving the notices while ensuring that all relevant data, logs and subscriber information are preserved, they said. The FIR against seven to eight handles has been filed under Sections 351(3) (criminal intimidation), 353(2) (circulating false information, rumours, or alarming news-including via electronic media) and 356(2) (whoever defam

Updated On: 29 Jul 2026 | 3:49 PM IST

Ministries told to form quick response teams to fight fake online content

2-hour deadline set; memes, videos preferred

Updated On: 28 Jul 2026 | 11:10 PM IST

SC bars coercive action against student protesters, mulls independent probe

The apex court barred coercive action against protesters without criminal antecedents, ordered the release of detained minors and sought responses from states

Updated On: 28 Jul 2026 | 8:50 PM IST

RAF fired multiple munitions, plastic pellets during July 20 protest

An official record of the police action taken during the July 20 'Sansad Chalo' march by protesters on the NEET issue has stated that the RAF fired multiple rounds of non-lethal munitions, including two rounds of plastic pellets, while controlling the mob at one location near Jantar Mantar, officials said on Monday. The incident has been recorded on July 22 at 1:24 PM in the general diary entry of the Parliament Street police station on the information of a Deputy Commandant of the Rapid Action Force (RAF) stating the blue dungaree donning force was on duty in the Zone 1 of the Jantar Mantar area along with a Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) rank officer of the Delhi Police, officials told PTI. On the directions of the DCP, according to the officials quoting the police station record, the RAF fired 55 non-electrical shells, 15 electrical shells, five tear smoke grenades, two rounds from the anti-riot guns and two rounds of plastic pellets on July 20. Officials said one round of t

Updated On: 28 Jul 2026 | 12:08 PM IST

Delhi Police files attempt to murder among 14 charges for July 20 CJP rally

An FIR registered regarding the July 20 violence near Kartavya Path during the CJP's "Sansad Chalo" rally invokes 13 charges, including attempt to murder, with Delhi Police sources alleging that protesters attacked personnel with the intention of killing them while trying to breach security barricades. According to the FIR, registered at the Kartavya Path police station based on an inspector's complaint, a large group of protesters attempted to break through police barricades erected to prevent them from entering the high-security zone around Parliament. It details police's account of the clashes that took place on Rafi Marg during a protest march towards Parliament. When stopped, protesters allegedly hurled stones, slippers and other objects at police personnel and physically assaulted them, leaving several officers injured, police sources said. The FIR also accuses the protesters of damaging government property, including police vehicles, during the violence. According to official

Updated On: 25 Jul 2026 | 3:47 PM IST

Delhi Police tighten security with extra barricades for weekend protests

Security arrangements have been intensified further across the national capital ahead of the weekend, with Delhi Police installing additional layers of barricades at key locations and reinforcing them with heavy-duty chains to prevent attempts to breach security cordons, officials said on Saturday. The move follows the raging protest in Delhi by the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), demanding reforms in the examination system and the resignation of Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan over the NEET paper leak, with police expecting a larger turnout of protesters through the weekend. According to police sources, multiple rows of iron barricades have been placed on the sensitive stretches in the New Delhi district, particularly in and around the Jantar Mantar protest site and other strategic locations. "Extra layers of barricading have been put in place at the vulnerable points, which have been chained together and welded so that they cannot be dismantled or shifted easily. Additional for

Updated On: 25 Jul 2026 | 10:28 AM IST

Cabinet clears Bill proposing stricter punishment in paper leak crackdown

Pradhan's resignation non-negotiable, says CJP; NTA fires 47 officials as part of Neet protest outreach; SC to hear pleas on police excesses on July 27

Updated On: 24 Jul 2026 | 10:36 PM IST