Sonam said that he broke his fast after receiving written assurances from the Centre that his demands would be met
The Delhi Police on Thursday claimed it has identified more than 480 Pakistan-based social media handles allegedly involved in spreading misinformation amid the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) protest at Jantar Martar, saying the same accounts had been active during Operation Sindoor. In a post on social media, a Delhi Police official said Pakistan-based social media handles were taking advantage of the prevailing situation to circulate rumours, fake posts and edited videos with the intent of instigating people, particularly students. "We have noticed that misinformation is being circulated on various social media platforms. So far, we have identified over 480 Pakistani social media handles that are taking advantage of the current situation to spread rumours. We are getting these handles blocked. These are the same handles which were active during Operation Sindoor," the officer said. The officer said the primary objective of these accounts is to spread misinformation and provoke peopl
Delhi Police is identifying suspects through CCTV and other video evidence, and those found to have participated in violence during the CJP protest may face passport cancellation
Delhi Police defends protest videography in court as data shows rising surveillance technology and growing public support for security monitoring
The Delhi High Court on Wednesday sought responses from the Centre and the city police on two pleas alleging excessive use of force against protesters during the July 20 march to Parliament. A bench of Chief Justice D K Upadhyaya and Justice Tejas Karia directed the authorities to preserve all relevant records in relation to the police action, including CCTV camera footage and any videography. The bench issued a notice on the PILs and gave four weeks to the authorities to file their counter affidavits. "Let a counter affidavit be filed on behalf of the respondents within four weeks," the court ordered. "In the meantime, we direct that the relevant record in relation to the incident as mentioned in the writ petitions, including the CCTV footage and videography, shall be preserved as per the SOP of the Delhi Police or the Union of India," it added. The matter would be heard next on September 11. Senior advocates N Hariharan, Vikas Singh and Gopal Sankaranarayanan, appearing for the
He also questioned the government over shutting down 16 metro stations for a brief period due to security reasons
The Supreme Court on Wednesday declined a request for urgent listing of a plea challenging the police action against students during the Cockroach Janta Party-led protest march in Delhi. The matter was mentioned before a bench comprising Chief Justice of India (CJI) Surya Kant and Justices Joymalya Bagchi and V Mohana. "I have the videos as well regarding police brutality... If it can be listed tomorrow (Thursday)... students are there," the lawyer said. He said that students had allegedly been subjected to police brutality during the protest and said the petition contained three prayers. The CJI declined the request and made it clear that the bench was not inclined to examine video footage at the mentioning stage. "We are not interested in videos, we don't have time to watch... We don't want to watch videos," the CJI said. When the counsel reiterated that students had been beaten up and again referred to the video evidence, the CJI said, "Don't waste our time. We don't want to w
High security arrangements will remain in place in the Lutyens' Delhi area as the city police gears up for separate protests by the CJP and the Youth Congress in the New Delhi and Central districts, official sources said. A multi-layered security arrangement will be put in place around Connaught Place, Jantar Mantar, Rafi Marg, Parliament Street and other sensitive locations to maintain law and order and prevent any untoward incident, the source said. Additional police and paramilitary personnel will be deployed at key intersections and vulnerable points, while anti-riot units, quick reaction teams and reserve forces will remain on standby. Barricades have already been erected at strategic locations, and surveillance through CCTV cameras and other monitoring systems have been intensified, he said. Traffic restrictions are likely to be imposed around Connaught Place, Jantar Mantar, Rafi Marg and adjoining roads depending on the movement of protesters. Traffic police will regulate ..
The Centre has ordered deployment of 20 additional companies of the CRPF in Delhi to strengthen security measures in view of the CJP protests and demonstrations by various political parties, officials said on Wednesday. The forces, all drawn from the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), are being airlifted from West Bengal after the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) ordered their immediate deployment in the national capital on Tuesday night. A total of 20 CRPF companies are being airlifted from Kolkata to be deployed in Delhi to strengthen the law and order in view of the CJP protests, demonstrations by various political parties and the ongoing Parliament session, official sources in the security establishment told PTI. Multiple instances of violent clashes during the latest protests have necessitated this immediate deployment, they said. They said these companies were deployed in West Bengal for the conduct of assembly elections held there a few months back and were asked to stay put
The Delhi High Court on Tuesday refused to urgently list a petition concerning the city police's use of "excessive force" against students who took part in the Cockroach Janta Party's protest march to Parliament. "Don't drag the court into all this," a bench of Chief Justice D K Upadhyaya and Justice Tejas Karia told the petitioner. The bench said the matter will be listed for hearing on Wednesday. The petitioner mentioned the plea before the bench for an urgent hearing, stating that Delhi Police personnel used "excessive force" on the protesters. Thousands joined the Cockroach Janta Party's (CJP) "Chalo Sansad" march on Monday to demand the resignation of Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan over alleged examination irregularities. The CJP accused Delhi Police of using excessive force against protesters to prevent them from reaching Parliament, alleging that several students were injured and activist Sonam Wangchuk's wife Gitanjali J Angmo was pushed around. Delhi Police,
Delhi Traffic Police on Tuesday issued an advisory in view of a demonstration scheduled at Kisan Ghat from 8.30 am, informing commuters of possible diversions and congestion on several key stretches. According to the advisory, diversions may be enforced on a need basis to ensure smooth traffic management and public safety. They said traffic is likely to be diverted from Delhi Gate, Rajghat Crossing, Guru Nanak Chowk, Shantivan Chowk, Rajghat DTC Depot and the IP Flyover. Motorists have also been advised to avoid Satyagrah Marg, Velodrome Road, Rajghat DTC Depot Road, Rajghat DTC Bypass Road and surrounding stretches, where traffic movement is expected to be affected due to the gathering. The Traffic Police urged commuters heading towards the airport, railway stations and adjoining areas to plan their journey in advance and use navigation applications for real-time traffic updates. People have also been advised to follow the directions of the traffic personnel deployed on the groun
More than 118 police personnel, including several senior officers, were injured and around 70 protesters were detained on Monday, as Cockroach Janta Party's (CJP) "Sansad Chalo" protest march turned violent in the New Delhi area, police said. Delhi Police released a statement mentioning these figures and their account, accusing protesters of displaying "unruly, aggressive and violent behaviour" during the protest and attacking security personnel, damaging government vehicles and public property. "During today's protest by CJP in the New Delhi area, the protesters displayed unruly, aggressive and violent behaviour. Despite repeated warnings and lawful directions issued by the police, they refused to disperse and deliberately violated the prohibitory orders in force," read the police statement. The protesters attacked police personnel with stones and other objects, attempted to breach police barricades, vandalised police and other government vehicles, damaged public property, and ...
Several protesters were detained and removed from multiple locations across the New Delhi district on Monday as forces stepped up action to prevent demonstrators from assembling and marching towards Parliament, sources said. Detentions were made from areas such as Mandi House, Patel Chowk, Janpath, Jantar Mantar, Parliament Street and other key locations where the protesting groups attempted to gather despite heightened security arrangements and prohibitory orders being in force, they said. At least seven people were detained near the Reserve Bank of India, close to Parliament. Those detained were being taken to different locations across the national capital, away from the protest site, to prevent them from regrouping and disrupting law and order, sources said. They will be released after being issued warnings, a source said, adding that police would verify the antecedents of those detained to ascertain whether any of them had previous criminal records. Security remained tight ac
Thousands of young and angry people converged on central Delhi on Monday, only to be met by police teargas and lathi-charges in a spiralling protest that started with exam paper leaks and gained traction with activist Sonam Wangchuk's hunger strike. Large parts of central Delhi were gridlocked as the protests gathered pace. Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) founder Abhijeet Dipke was picked up by Delhi Police, the organisation's spokesperson said. "Police brutally cracking down and beating up peaceful protesters, request MPs to stand in support of students on streets," Saurav Das said. Clashes broke out with protesters, some in school uniform, streaming into central Delhi, navigating inner lanes and attempting to find alternative routes to get as close as possible to Parliament. Some police personnel and protesters were injured. Undeterred by the extensive barricading, they walked several kilometres, sometimes joining groups of protesters, shouting slogans stopping to wait for an opport
Delhi Police used sticks and batons to disperse hundreds of students and youth activists marching from Mandi House Metro Station towards Jantar Mantar in an attempt to reach the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) protest site on Monday, eyewitnesses said. The protesters, including a large number of women, raised slogans against the Centre while proceeding towards Jantar Mantar. Heavy deployment of Delhi Police personnel was seen in the area as police sought to prevent the march from advancing. There was no immediate official statement from the police on the reported use of force or any detentions.
CJP spokesperson Saurav Das signaled the organisation's willingness to engage in talks with the government regarding their long-standing demands for examination reforms
Delhi Police is on high alert ahead of the Monsoon Session of Parliament and the Cockroach Janta Party's (CJP) proposed "Chalo Sansad" march on Monday, with heavy deployment of personnel visible at every nook and corner around Jantar Mantar, Parliament and other key locations. Authorities have also imposed prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the BNSS in the New Delhi district. The heightened vigil comes as the CJP announced the march in protest against alleged NEET irregularities and to demand the resignation of Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan. Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Sachin Sharma shared a public advisory on X on Sunday, stating that "Delhi Police categorically clarifies that no permission has been sought or granted for any such protest march/procession." The prohibitory order under Section 163 BNSS (formerly Section 144 CrPC) is currently in effect in the New Delhi district, according to the DCP's post. "Accordingly, protest marches, processions, ...
Gitanjali J Angmo has sought permission to shift Sonam Wangchuk from Safdarjung Hospital, alleging that the family is being denied a transfer
Activist Sonam Wangchuk who was taken to Safdarjung Hospital after a 20-day hunger strike has refused intravenous fluids, oral rehydration solution and other medications despite signs of dehydration and metabolic abnormalities, hospital authorities said on Saturday. He is being continuously monitored and counselled to accept treatment in the interest of his health, they said. Wangchuk, 59, was brought to the hospital by Delhi Police and admitted at 7:40 am with a history of fasting from solid food for 20 days and generalised weakness. There is no history of fainting attacks, the hospital said in health bulletin. At the time of admission, he was conscious with stable pulse, blood pressure and oxygen saturation. Signs of dehydration were seen, it said. Blood gas analysis revealed compensated acidosis with decreased serum potassium with blood sugar of 78 mg/dl. Repeat serum potassium test was similar. Urinary ketones were 1+ at the time of admission which have increased to 3+ by 1 pm,
White sheets, plainclothes police personnel and a plan to deploy network jammers marked Delhi Police's operation to shift activist Sonam Wangchuk to a government hospital on Saturday after his health deteriorated during a 20-day hunger strike, police sources said. The pre-drawn operation was planned overnight following directions from the Delhi High Court and medical advice recommending Wangchuk's hospitalisation, they said. According to the sources, senior officers received instructions from Police Headquarters around 1.30 am to ensure that Wangchuk underwent a medical examination and was admitted to hospital. Soon afterwards, senior officers of the New Delhi district assembled at Mandir Marg police station to chalk out the operation. A police source said a security drill was conducted to assess how Wangchuk could be shifted "without confrontation" in less than a minute. The officers also discussed deploying network jammers around the protest site to prevent the rapid circulation