You are here: Home » Companies » News
Business Standard

SpiceJet set to disconnect Mysore airport

With SpiceJet announcing the suspension of its flights to Mysore Airport, the airport will once again go off the air map

BS Reporter  |  Mysore 

SpiceJet

is withdrawing its services to Mysore with effect from October 26.

It had earlier decided to stop its operations to Mysore connecting Bangalore and Chennai. But, following the government’s intervention on the demand by stakeholders, it extended its operations in view of the celebrations. Now that the festivities are over, it is cancelling its operations again.

Mysore-Kodagu MP Pratap Simha said today that was withdrawing services due to poor potential. He was speaking to reporters after hearing grievances from public at his ‘Janaspandana’ programme.

The lone flight operator to link Mysore with Bangalore, thus providing air connectivity to other places, had earlier announced the cancellation of its flight between September 5 and October 31 citing operational reasons though the response from the local passengers was good.

However, on the plea by Tourism Minister R V Deshpande and Pratap Simha, following the plea by local stakeholders, continued with its operations.

On previous occasions too, it had discontinued its services from July 28. But, it had decided to permanently stop the service from September 1. Following the intervention of Union Civil Aviation Ministers Ashok Gajapathi Raju and G M Siddeshwar, who had inspected the Mandakalli airport, the expansion of which is facing prolonged delays, it had resumed services within 10 days of its cancellation.

Simha had urged the state government to provide the land required for the airport’s expansion for landing bigger aircraft. Rejecting the idea for constructing an underpass saying it would not be feasible, the MP said the Mysore-Nanjangud highway should be shifted at this point.

First Published: Wed, October 15 2014. 20:44 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU