Mr. Anant Kumar Singh, Secretary, Ministry of Textiles, Govt. of India has underlined the need to streamline the process of standardization for faster development of the standards in the area of technical textiles and to develop the sector indigenously and fulfil the domestic requirements. It was imperative for the stakeholders, including industry, policy makers and research institutes to work in close collaboration and also suggest ways to make the process of developing standards for technical textiles faster.
He also said that the Government will soon launch the new mission for technical textiles. The earlier mission has completed its period.
Mr. Singh said that eight committees had been formed at the Centre of Excellences in India to expedite the process of developing standards. These committees including industry representatives help in identifying the areas in which needed standards needed to be formulated. India had the capability, resource and market in the area of technical textiles and the need was to capitalize on these strengths.
National Conclave on Standards on Technical Textiles since its inception has been instrumental in bringing together institutional buyers in various segments along with industry to discuss the standards that needed to be formulated by BIS on priority.
Mr. Singh said that the market of technical textiles was expanding rapidly with new products being added by the users in various industries. Thus it was imperative to formulate standards to accelerate the growth of the textiles sector. He added that the share of technical textiles in the domestic textile sector as well as at the global level was very low as compared to developed countries and this needed to be addressed.
Surina Rajan, Director General, BIS said that in exports, India has to move to more value added products and textiles were no exception. There was a need to at least double India's volume of production and exports. BIS has a supportive role in terms of standard setting which facilitates industry. Since 2014, BIS has added 104 Indian standards to the pre-existing number of 190 standards for this sector. Currently, the focus is on 45 new technical textile subjects. For moving fast and doing useful work, she called upon the stakeholders to participate actively in the standardization work.
Mr. Shishir Jaipuria, Chairman, FICCI Textiles Committee, said that standardization was a prerequisite for mandatory use of technical textiles, wherever necessary. Mandatory use of fire retardant textiles in public places like multiplexes, malls, public buildings, etc., will go a long way in increasing safety of the public at large. Similarly, promoting the use of new medical textile and hygiene related technical textiles will contribute immensely to the health and hygiene in hospitals and would reduce cross infections considerably.
The following 10 BIS standards related to Agrotextiles, Packaging Textiles and Medical Textiles were released by Mr. Singh and Ms. Rajan:
1) IS 16703:2017 'Textiles High density polyethylene (HDPE)/polypropylene (PP) woven sacks for packaging of 25 kg polymer materials Specification'
2) IS 16709:2017 'Textiles Polypropylene (PP) woven, laminated, block bottom valve sacks for packaging of 50kg cement Specification'
3) IS 16627:2017 'Agro textiles High density polyethylene (HDPE) laminated woven lay flat tube for use in mains and submains of drip irrigation system Specification'
4) IS 16718:2017 'Textiles Polypropylene spun bonded non-woven crop cover fabric for agricultural and horticultural applications Specification'
5) IS 7903:2017 'Textiles Tarpaulins made from high density polyethylene (HDPE) woven fabrics Specification (Fifth revision)'
6) IS 11652:2017 'Textiles High density polyethylene (HDPE)/polypropylene (PP) woven sacks for packaging of 50 kg cement Specification (Third revision)'
7) IS 16668 : 2017 'Medical Textiles Salicylic Acid Adhesive Plaster Specification'
8) IS 16669 : 2017 'Medical Textiles Elastic Adhesive Dressing Specification'
9) IS 16670 : 2017 'Medical Textiles Absorbent Cotton Ribbon Gauze Specification'
10) IS 16671 : 2017 'Medical Textiles Belladonna Adhesive Plaster Specification'
Powered by Capital Market - Live News
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)