You are here: Home » News-IANS » Health-Medicine
Business Standard

Quarantined Indian discharged after Ebola scare

IANS  |  New Delhi 

An Indian man who was quarantined after his semen tested positive for Ebola virus has been finally discharged, officials said on Thursday.

The 26-year-old man, who returned from Liberia, was isolated at a special facility at the Delhi airport since November.

Health ministry sources on Thursday said the man was discharged earlier this week.

The man had already been treated for the disease in Liberia and had no symptoms. But his semen samples tested positive, prompting the authorities to isolate him.

He carried a medical clearance certificate from the Liberian government that he has successfully undergone treatment for Ebola, and after post-treatment assessment was declared free of any clinical signs and symptoms and confirmed negative by laboratory analysis.

The ministry said that during recovery, people continue to shed the virus in body fluids for variable periods and the virus in his semen samples may transmit the disease through sex up to 90 days from the time of clinical cure.

First Published: Thu, March 26 2015. 19:08 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU