Business Standard

Maha minister blames unauthorised construction for Pune flood

Image

Press Trust of India Pune
Senior Maharashtra minister Chandrakant Patil on Friday blamed unauthorised construction on nullahs and streams for the flood a day earlier in Pune, which killed 17 people.
Patil, who is guardian minister of the district, said probe was needed to find out who gave permissions for such construction, adding that an inquiry could begin after the end of code of conduct post state Assembly polls.
Calling the flood "extraordinary", Patil said the administration was not prepared for such strong downpour, though some pre-emptive measures like shifting people to safer places in Baramati were taken.
Patil reportedly was at the receiving end of people's anger in Sahakar Nagar area where five people died in a wall collapse during Thursday's downpour.
The city recorded 106 millimetres of rainfall on Thursday.
Over 3,000 people were shifted to safety on Thursday, officials had said, adding that 59 villages in the district were affected.

Disclaimer: No Business Standard Journalist was involved in creation of this content

Don't miss the most important news and views of the day. Get them on our Telegram channel

First Published: Sep 27 2019 | 6:05 PM IST

Explore News