You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Mevani's request for Delhi rally not granted so far: Police

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

The Police today said that Jignesh Mevani's request for holding a rally here tomorrow on Street has not been granted yet.

The police had earlier said that Mevani's request was "under consideration".

"No permission granted so far by Police to hold proposed protest at Street in view of NGT orders. Organisers have been constantly advised to go to alternate site, which they are reluctant to accept," the office of of Police, New Delhi, tweeted tonight.

However, the organisers have confirmed to that they would be going ahead with their plan.

The 'Social Justice' rally or 'Yuva Hunkaar Rally' is planned to be addressed by along with peasant leader

The NGT on October 5 last year had ordered officials to "immediately stop all activities of dharna, protest, agitations, assembling of people, public speeches and using of loud speakers among others at the Road."


One of the organisers and former said, "There has been a lot of attempts to stop this event and even some are spreading wrong information that the permission for the rally has been denied."

Ever since the rally was announced on January 2, "a lot of money has been spent on posters calling a deshdrohi (traitor) and urban naxal," Pandey told PTI, adding the event will be held as per schedule.

could not be reached for his comments.

In a statement, the organisers have urged the prospective participants to "assemble on the Street at 12 pm on tomorrow".

The rally seeks to raise the demand for the release of Dalit outfit Bhim Army's founder and emphasise on issues like educational rights, employment, livelihood and gender justice.

A large section of students from universities and colleges in Delhi, women's groups, teachers' associations and activists associated with Mevani from across the country are expected to attend the rally.

Azad, 30, was arrested in June last year from Himachal Pradesh as he was the main accused in the Thakur-Dalit clash in Uttar Pradesh's Saharanpur district.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Tue, January 09 2018. 00:20 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU