A Taliban spokesman says the latest round of talks with the United States on a deal to withdraw US troops from Afghanistan has ended and now both sides will consult their leadership on the next steps.
A statement by spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid says the eighth round of talks in the Gulf nation of Qatar ended after midnight on Monday. He called them "long and useful." Another Taliban spokesman last week said a deal was expected at the end of this round.
The agreement is expected to include Taliban guarantees that Afghanistan would not be a base for other extremist groups. It also could include a cease-fire and Taliban negotiations with other Afghan representatives, though the Taliban has refused to negotiate with the Afghan government, dismissing it as a US puppet.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)