Tamil Nadu government today said that it can be a facilitator to find an amicable solution for the ongoing issue related to the release of Kamal Haasan's movie Vishwaroopam. The state administration has also said that Kamal, the actor-cum-producer of the movie, choose to approach the judiciary instead of talking to the government, and added that it was impossible to give protection for the release with the current strength of police force.
Speaking to reporters in Chennai today, the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa said that if the Government allowed to release the movie, ignoring the protest and threats of agitation from various Muslims organisations, it would have created serious of law and order issues. Banning the movie for 15 days, under Section 144, was to calm down the situation and pave way to arrange a peaceful release, preventing any violence and to maintain law and order in the state, said the Chief Minister.
She noted, the movie was scheduled to release in 524 theatres across the state and intelligence report stated that, the release will lead to violence and theatres must be given protection which is practically and physically not possible.
The Chief Minister explained that Tamil Nadu Police sanctioned Police personnal is 1,13,718, of which vacancy need to be filled is 21,911, which means the actual strength is 91,807. Leaving the special units, number of police personnel would be 87,226 police per for 7.28 crore people, of which strength for regular duties is 78,000. The balance would be 9,226 police personnel which will not be adequate to give protection for theatres.
The manpower required to control the expected protests would include 31,440 personnel, 10 patrols which would mean another 11,000 personnel, for sensitive areas additional force need to be deployed which would be around 7,500 personnel, striking force of 6 per district which is around 6,500 personnel. Togather, the manpower required to keep law and order in case the movie was released would be around 56,490 police personnel.
Responding to the allegation that Jaya TV wanted the movie telecast rights for a lower rate, which Kamal Haasan did not agree, has resulted in the state government banning the movie, the Chief Minister said, “Jaya TV only supports AIADMK. It does not belong to me and I don't hold shares, so there is no personnal motive and all the allegation was also false."
The Chief Minister also said the government and she will send defamation notice to the Media, which published saying it was a personnel revenge. She added, “if at all I have adversary, it should be against DMK, which is political rival, but I have not done anything to stop M Karunanidhi's family member to produce or release movies”.
On whether State Government have the power to ban the movie, she said, State Government has a power under Section 7 of Tamil Nadu Cinemas Act 1955, under which the movie Dam 999 was banned earlier,but when it comes to Viswaroopam it was not used, it was banned under 144, so that both the parties will have time to sit and talk to settle the issue amicably.
Referring to Kamal Haasan's sentimental address to the media on Wednesday in which he said he has pledged properties and the financiers would attach it if the movie is not released, Jayalalithaa said, “he (Kamal) is 58-year old responsible adult, if he has taken decision to produce a mega movie of around Rs 100 crore, its a conscious decision from him, how can the Government be responsible?”.
She added that the government had earlier requested Kamal Haasan to show the movie to the Muslim leaders, but he avoided saying movie dates postponed, due to DTH issues. At the last moment on January 21, Kamal called the Muslim leaders to show the movie, on January 22 the leaders saw the movie and met the Home Secretary on January 23 seeking for a ban. They also internally discussed about demonstration and agitations, and inorder to stop any such incedents, the decision for ban was taken.
The Chief Minister also said, if he (Kamal) would have approached the Government, we would have facilitated for a dialogue, but he went to the Court. “At this juncture, Muslim organisations have conveyed to me, in the beginning he was adamant, but now he agreed to cut few scenes, if the Muslim leaders and Kamal Haasan comes up for a discussion, we are ready to facilitate, amicable agreement and we are ready to facilitate”.
On Kamal seeking appointment, but was not given time, the Chief Minister said: “Yes, he sent a letter, but before that he went to the court. How can I meet him when the case is pending before the court?”