You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

WHO chief reassures South Korea as its MERS deaths reach 23

AP  |  Seoul 

The head of the World Health Organization says South Korean efforts to contain a deadly MERS virus outbreak are reassuring and there is a generally low risk to the public.

Margaret Chan praised the government and health care workers today for getting the disease under control after a shaky start when the outbreak began nearly a month ago.

Chan said in Seoul that it's a good sign the disease has so far been confined to a handful of hospitals and isn't spreading in the wider community.

But she said much about MERS is unknown and there is still a need to strengthen monitoring and quarantine efforts.

says 23 people have died and more than 160 have been sickened in the country by the Middle East respiratory syndrome.

First Published: Thu, June 18 2015. 15:42 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU