- Wall Street: S&P 500, Dow rise over 1% as banks, Apple offer support
- Beijing bristles at Joe's 'yes' for US intervention if China invades Taiwan
- Centre asks Air India employees to vacate housing colonies by July 27
- RBI-constituted panel to review customer service standards in banks, NBFCs
- Cement prices may fall after excise duty cut on fuel, helping infra sector
Joe Biden inauguration LIVE: Biden signs 17 orders to undo Trump's legacy
US President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris take oath: Trump departs White House, leaves a letter for Joe Biden. Stay tuned for US President inauguration live updates
US President Joe Biden inauguration LIVE updates: Joe Biden was sworn in as the 46th president of the United States on Wednesday at a historic inaugural ceremony, pledging to unite the country and calling on Americans to end the "uncivil war" that has fractured the deeply polarised nation. Kamala Harris was also sworn in as America's first woman Vice President
In his first speech as president, Biden addressed his "fellow Americans" who may view the future with fear and trepidation -- but called on them not to turn inwards in difficult times.
"We must end this uncivil war that pits red against blue, rural versus -- rural versus urban, conservative versus liberal," the 78-year-old Democrat said after becoming the oldest US president.
"We can do this if we open our souls instead of hardening our hearts. If we show a little tolerance and humility, and if we are willing to stand in the other person's shoes," he said.
Biden also pledged to repair America's global alliances, which suffered during his predecessor Trump's four-year regime.
This is America's day. This is democracy's day. A day in history and hope, of renewal and resolve, he said.
Stay tuned for Joe Biden, Kamala Harris inauguration LIVE updates