Incorporated as a public limited company in 1890, Tyroon Tea Company was formed with the main object of acquiring the business of George Frederick Pinney. Since 1960, McLeod & Company were acting as the managing agents of the company. The management of the company remained with them till the abolition of the system of managing agency in 1970. Thereafter, the company has been under the management of its Board of Directors. A K Jalan, the present promoter, acquired the shares from McLeod & Company in 1988 and is managing the company since then. The main business of the company is tea plantation and processing. It has Tyroon tea estate in Assam. The installed capacity of the tea factory at its estate is 1061617 kg pa of made tea. The company is selling its products through auction and the balance through its wholesale outlets at Bombay, Indore, Jaipur, Kanpur, Allahabad, etc. The company undertook an expansion-cum-modernisation programme in its tea divisions and tea processing facilities. It increased the capacity to manufacture made tea to 17.5 lac kg pa. It came out with a public issue in Feb.'95 to part-finance this project. The company also launched poly pouches to sell its product.