India’s largest engineering company, Larsen & Toubro (L & T), has been able to withstand the ongoing slowdown with a healthy order book growth in its core business, and its services subsidiaries in information technology and finance are doing well. S N Subrahmanyan, chief executive officer and managing director, talks to Amritha Pillay and Dev Chatterjee on how he sees growth across segments and verticals, and the company’s new initiatives in technology. Edited excerpts:
L&T is the market leader by miles. What has worked?
We have not done anything different. We have gone after the areas that we are well known for, and are continuing our business. The competition has problems because of their inability to perceive the costs, their debt and the need to quote properly to specifications. This may give us certain benefits, but this happens in business. We concentrate and stay focused on what we know best, which is our business.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
First Published: Fri, March 20 2020. 20:54 IST