- Wastage in welfare and subsidy schemes: Centre cracks the whip
- Holcim likely to seek exemption under India-Mauritius tax agreement
- West notwithstanding, imports from Russia jump 33% to $1.1 bn in March
- Vehicle scrappage policy in the pit lane: Where are the scrap yards?
- Fuel to GST: Centre-state relations may emerge as a rallying point for Oppn
- Holcim's sale of Ambuja Cement, ACC to be biggest exit of an MNC from India
Covid LIVE: Maharashtra sees 41,434 new cases; Omicron tally reaches 1,009
Maharashtra capital Mumbai sees 20,318 new Covid cases in a day
A policeman asks people to leave the promenade at Marine drive, during restrictions to limit public gatherings amidst the spread of Covid, in Mumbai (Photo: Reuters)
India reported more than 141,986 fresh Covid-19 cases on Saturday. In order to deal with the surge, the government is speeding up vaccination drives across the country. Those in the age group 15-18 are now being inoculated. The number of deaths climbed to over 483,463, according to MoHFW.
A total of 3,007 cases of Omicron variant of coronavirus have been detected across 23 states and Union Territories so far, out of which 1,199 have recovered or migrated, according to the Union health ministry's data updated on Wednesday.
Several states have announced restrictions like night curfew and weekend curfew. Delhi's daily Covid cases shot up by 15 per cent today after 17,335 fresh cases were detected in 24 hours. Karnataka today reported 8,449 fresh cases of coronavirus in 24 hours.
A decision on lockdown in Mumbai will be taken by chief minister Uddhav Thackeray as Mumbai crossed 20,000 fresh Covid cases - the threshold limit for more restrictions.
Meanwhile, Congress General Secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, who had cancelled her major poll rallies due to the Covid-19 surge, will start campaigning for the 2022 Uttar Pradesh Assembly polls virtually from today.