Deposit rates may rise 105 bps due to 190 bps repo rate hike: SBI report

CASA occupies a 45% share in overall bank deposits; it is FDs, which make the remaining 55%, which will need the rate adjustment

State bank of india, SBI
Premium

SBI increased its deposit rates by upto 80 bps on select maturities, with effect from October 22

BS Reporter Mumbai
With the share of current and savings account (CASA) deposits at 45 per cent in the banking system, a 190 basis points (bps) increase in repo rate could at best translate into a 105-bps increase in deposit rates. This is because it is only the 55 per cent of the term deposits that would need rate adjustments, resulting in a less than full adjustment of deposit rates to repo rate, a report by State Bank of India’s (SBI) economic research department said on Monday.

“Any deposit rate increase beyond that will be an additional one,” the report said.

In the

Don't miss the most important news and views of the day. Get them on our Telegram channel

First Published: Oct 31 2022 | 5:04 PM IST

Explore News

To read the full story, subscribe to BS Premium now, at just Rs 249/ month.

Key stories on business-standard.com are available only to BS Premium subscribers.

Register to read more on Business-Standard.com