Shares of HDFC Bank hit a new high of Rs 1,503, surging 2.5 per cent in the intra-day trade on the BSE on Monday, after the private sector reported steady performance for the October-December quarter (Q3FY21) with net profit increasing by 18 per cent year on year (YoY) to Rs 8,758 crore, driven by robust growth in net interest income and other income.
The stock settled 1.15 per cent higher on the BSE, at Rs 1,483 apiece, and was among the only four gainers on the Sensex today. The counter saw huge trading volumes with a combined 22.21 million equity shares changing hands on the NSE and BSE.
The bank's net interest income (interest earned minus interest expended) grew 15 per cent YoY to Rs 16,318 crore. Other income of the lender rose upwards of 30 per cent to Rs 7,443 crore in Q3FY21, compared to Rs 6,669 crore in Q3FY20. Net interest margin improved around 10 basis points (bps) sequentially at 4.2 per cent.
Asset quality remained healthy with gross non-performing assets (NPAs) falling 27 basis points (bps) sequentially to 0.81 per cent in Q3FY21. In Q3FY20, gross NPA of the bank was 1.42 per cent. Net NPAs of the lender stood at 0.09 per cent, improving 9 bps sequentially and 38 bps year on year.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
First Published: Mon, January 18 2021. 09:41 IST