From the killing of journalists Gauri Lankesh and Shujaat Bukhari to numerous recent attempts by governments to harass, intimidate and restrain media organisations, India’s record on press freedom is slipping ignominiously. Last month’s World Press Freedom Index Report by Reporters Without Borders placed India 138th out of 180 countries: It downgraded India's position from 136, just one spot above Pakistan and one below Myanmar.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
First Published: Sat, June 30 2018. 06:34 IST