Last year, as a pandemic struck the economy hard, all proceedings against loan defaulters under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code were suspended, initially till September 2020 and later, through two extensions, till March 24, 2021. Now, the insolvency proceedings at the bankruptcy courts will resume with vigour, although the threshold of a default has been raised from Rs 100,000 to Rs 1 crore to protect small businesses, which have not been able to service bank loans in troubled times.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
First Published: Sun, March 28 2021. 21:38 IST