Overall GDP numbers are kind of expected. We already knew manufacturing was doing well in the first quarter as shown by the index of industrial production (IIP). We also knew there was low base effect in manufacturing, which is why you get 13%-plus growth, which was a significant contributor to the 8.2 per cent GDP growth. The surprise is agriculture. I was expecting a growth of around 3.5%, but it turned out to be over 5%.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
First Published: Sat, September 01 2018. 05:30 IST