Salaried employees in the private sector may soon be able to enjoy up to Rs 20 lakh tax-free gratuity. The Labour Ministry has proposed an amendment to Payment of Gratuity Act following a meeting with the central trade unions. The amendment is likely to be passed by the government by April. This proposal will bring private sector employees on par with government and public sector undertakings'. Increasing the tax-free gratuity to Rs 20 lakh was one of the recommendations of the 7th Pay Commission, which been approved.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
First Published: Wed, March 08 2017. 15:04 IST